Trade in 18 Raptor for new 2021 Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnC12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... you're not kidding!

Here in Virginia, we pay a 4.15% sales tax upfront, but that's it - no taxes on sold vehicles. BUT, we do pay a hefty $4.20 per $100 in the county I live in. My Raptor cost me $2,684 the first year I bought it... went down to $2,034 the second year. It's the gift that just keeps on giving. I guess the tax man gets you one way or another!

Eric16l

Reaction score
Wow... you're not kidding!

Here in Virginia, we pay a 4.15% sales tax upfront, but that's it - no taxes on sold vehicles. BUT, we do pay a hefty $4.20 per $100 in the county I live in. My Raptor cost me $2,684 the first year I bought it... went down to $2,034 the second year. It's the gift that just keeps on giving. I guess the tax man gets you one way or another!
I live down the road from you in Ashburn and feel your pain!!!

Turning Blue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The taxes here in chicago are about 1k per 10000 so that's a big loss if you dont trade in. The taxes are put towards your new truck so you only pay the difference.
You may want to do some research on this. Illinois limits the tax savings to the first 10k on a trade-in. This changed on Jan 1, 2020. You can thank JB and his fellow dumbocrats.

Josh84

Reaction score
I am putting my 18 on the market now and trying to get a 2021 ordered . I will not trade in because once that order bank opens up the value of my truck is going to drop like a rock.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am putting my 18 on the market now and trying to get a 2021 ordered . I will not trade in because once that order bank opens up the value of my truck is going to drop like a rock.
They said that 5 years ago with the Gen 1....never happened.

A well equipped 'base' Raptor will be pushing 80K at MSRP. I don't see my 55k value of my 18 'dropping' like a rock.

Dtsgli

Reaction score
They said that 5 years ago with the Gen 1....never happened.

A well equipped 'base' Raptor will be pushing 80K at MSRP. I don't see my 55k value of my 18 'dropping' like a rock.
The difference here is that there isn’t much of a difference between the Gen 2 and 3 so one would think the Gen 2 values won’t be impacted but based on indexing consumer confidence for the remainder of the year and the metrics out there, I would assume by the end of Q2 we’ll see Gen 2 Raptors fall in value. Plus why would a dealer give you almost as much for a used Gen 2 when the new Gen 3 starts at $64k. Those that are getting insane values now won’t when the new one rolls out.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh they won’t be as high trade ins sure but the only people getting a 66k with delivery is if a dealer lets them order one at MSRP. I am waiting for an R anyway so damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead...and wait.