Trade a Raptor for a Lightning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True. At least until it’s not, like the Texas winter of ’21; aka Snovid 21.

But how much surplus do we have overnight with the usage involved? Do we even have 1% EV in TX? Let’s imagine we had 5%, all charging overnight, how long would it be until restrictions were put in place do you think?

In a normal Dec. - Mar. or what some northern dwellers call winter, we’re sitting pretty. Not as pretty as Miami, but yeah not much going on overnight.

We’ll find out in the next 5-10 years.
I put "surplus" like that for a reason. I don't know that much about how the grid works, but understand that there are many different sources of power. Say energy production can top 90gW for Texas...usage hangs around 40 most nights during peak times from what I've seen. EVs won't touch it.

What sucks is that daily use has broke 80gW some days so Texas is really pushing it. What needs to happen is for there to be an arrangement for EVs to be used as energy storage during the peak times.

Hotrod-Realtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I What needs to happen is for there to be an arrangement for EVs to be used as energy storage during the peak times.

I'm not sure I would want to hook my battery to the grid to supply and pull energy from it. Another charge cycle at night to fill it back up and there is one less cycle I get to use. Remind me how much a new battery costs again?

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Most everyone say 90 percent of ev owners charge level 2 at home and overnight, this is optimal charging off peak hours. So little effect on the power grids. The registration fees is where governors in most states are trying to stick it to ev owners. There are lobbying groups trying to get those reduced.
That's assuming people all charge at night. Next time you're stuck in traffic look around at the people in the cars around you. Yeah...

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I would want to hook my battery to the grid to supply and pull energy from it. Another charge cycle at night to fill it back up and there is one less cycle I get to use. Remind me how much a new battery costs again?
8-12k. I totally get that right now but in the future, if you had many more EVs, you could program a 10-15% release and the energy company could give substantial credits rather than investing in new power sources

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's assuming people all charge at night. Next time you're stuck in traffic look around at the people in the cars around you. Yeah...
The Lightning doesn't really seem to lose much range in traffic. They do much better in stop-and-go traffic as well

jamanrr

FRF Addict
Reaction score

V2g is okay and so are power walls. Personally I would use 2x 27 kwh solar panels hooked up to a power wall via a level 2 Enel juice box and charge up at night during off peak hours.

Most all manufacturers warranty the batteries to 10 years and will pro rate them if they go out earlier. Yeah you are recommended to only charge to 80 percent for daily driving and 100 percent on long hauls. The more they make the more they will drop in price as Iron phosphate gets phased into more battery production.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
The Lightning doesn't really seem to lose much range in traffic. They do much better in stop-and-go traffic as well
My post was in reference to the type of folks that are shoving food in their mouths or watching phone **** while driving. Once 90 percent of people are in electric cars, the odds of 90 percent of those charging at night is a pipe dream.

Early adopters are gaming the system and know it's cheaper to charge during non peak hours, if you're set up that way. Once the rest of us knuckle draggers are forced into EV's, we are gonna plug in if we need a quick 20pc mcnugget snack. lol

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My post was in reference to the type of folks that are shoving food in their mouths or watching phone **** while driving. Once 90 percent of people are in electric cars, the odds of 90 percent of those charging at night is a pipe dream.

Early adopters are gaming the system and know it's cheaper to charge during non peak hours, if you're set up that way. Once the rest of us knuckle draggers are forced into EV's, we are gonna plug in if we need a quick 20pc mcnugget snack. lol
Maybe. On the other hand, cell phone culture has you plugging in at night and I have been subconsciously doing the same

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The current EV push is a prime example of putting the cart before the horse.
True
Not really, although hybrids will be first. Ever wonder why you all can't get a hold of the Gen3s like you did the gen2s? It is not the global supply chain. American companies and their foreign counterparts are making break through battery technology products in this country. All R&D for new product development is EV based plus the tax incentives they offer.
hmm... so first, yes, it is actually a perfect analogy to putting the cart before the horse. The government has been led astray by fruits and nuts in California dreaming of a world in which there is no pollution and mistakenly believing that having an electrically motivated vehicle somehow is better environmentally and BTW, puts the screws to Exon Mobil !!!! AMIRITE?

Only EV’s are far from pollution free, though they do at least operate relatively pollution free, they’re created and charged with petro-fuels, so really they’re using oil in most cases, just once removed. They also lack the battery tech to compete with distances achievable with gasoline or diesel powered vehicles. They are currently not capable of hauling cargo long distances and suffer huge efficiency losses in extreme cold, which is a big portion of the USA in winter. So, pushing to establish EV usage before the tech has matured is less than intelligent thinking.

So all the Super Duty, F series and Raptors sitting awaiting chips in such volume that they’re visible from space, that’s not a supply chain problem?
Ok then. Got it.

I will agree, a great deal of R&D is being focused on electric propulsion and wrongheadedly from what we’ve seen so far. The Lightning had a lot of promise, until it was tested towing a load and was spent rather quickly.

You might be able to do well at a drag strip for a few runs, but right now electricity in a 4 wheel vehicle isn’t a viable technology - limited by battery tech right now but it is what it is.