Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigScott

Banned
Reaction score
I need an ultra light enclosed 8.5x 18 or 20ft trailer that can hold a 5400lb bentley in it.
This means the trailer and acc have to be under 2600lbs I want something around 2000lbs so I can have a stack of wheels/tires and a 55gal drum of gas.

I'm having a hard time finding this.

Try Haulmark aluminum trailers

I have never seen that kind of hitch setup

Many have given you advise. my opinion, you going to bend your frame. Your asking too much of the Raptor. Raptor has a totally different design functionn. Get a FX4 and put Raptor style fenders for the look.

Last edited:

Gunner75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the Raptor frame differs from the std F150? (rear section)

If I compensate and or duplicate what the spring rate is on the max trailer or std F150 I am going to cause damage to the Raptor?

Stock Raptor, no on the front perch.

Last edited:

Gunner75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have learned quite a bit today. The Raptor and the Platinum frames are virtually the same. (Especially from the front door area back.)
There are three springs the F150 series trucks use.
I brought home a Platinum Eco Boost with Max tow and hooked my trailer to both taking pre and post measurements.
The Raptor has the bump stop cast pc in place, the Platinum does not. Maybe that is why Raptors are bending frames?????
The Platinum will smoke the tires from a dead stop with light power brake. My Raptor will not. (BTW, the Platinum had 3.73 gears)

I got the hook up with SVT direct. I have been asked to in great detail email what I am looking for in the Raptor/F150 and explain what research, etc I have done to date.
I don't expect to get much out of them, but my dealer has a hook up with them and somehow thinks I may get the "example" customer care. Whatever that really means.

BTW, I will likely try out a set of Super Springs to simply aid in pulling a couple ATV trailers and an open car hauler at times. I don't plan on jumping my truck and or extreme anything.

Here is a link to some good specs on F150/Raptors.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2012/12_F150_SB.pdf

gordhunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow 6000lbs all the time with my scab no issues

Sent from my SGH-I717D using Tapatalk 2

Gunner75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My biggest issue is simply this. My tongue weight is excessive and I should be using a 3/4 ton to pull what I want. Haven't weighed it yet.

My 04 FX4 and 06 KR with Air Lift Bags did a very good job of holding the tongue weight and keeping the truck level "enough". I was running about 75lbs in them. No weight distribution hitch at that time. Ride was damn good loaded.

Since there are no bags out there for the Raptor, I have looked at springs, bought a weight dist hitch as I should have had already, and looking to build the truck to pull.

Total weight will be no more than 11,000lbs. Many on here mod for jump/desert, I simply want power, look, tow, and the additional 4wd items the Raptor offers.

I greatly appreciate everyone's input.

Gunner75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towing with the Raptor

Towing with the Raptor.

I had tested many components and actually had good results from all. Have been in discussion with some on here about towing, what I had done, etc. Here is the latest and heaviest I would pull using the Raptor.

The scales I borrowed to check tongue weight on this trailer/load set up wouldn't work for me today, but I will post up as soon as I get a value on tongue weight.

2012 Raptor (stock suspension plus RPG Stage 2-2.5 and Towing 4.0" bumpstops)

I tested the Firestone air bag kit with Daystar cradles as well as the Super Spring set up.

These are photo's from the RPG set up and the heaviest trailer/load.

Measurements at rear fender lip 1/2 tank of gas: RPG 2.5"
Driver Rear-42.5"
Passenger Rear- 43"

Measurement at rear fender lip 1/2 tank of gas: RPG with Tow Bumps
DR-42.5"
PR-43"
(Tow bumps are just hovering the pads, in town driving is bump, bump, bump)

Measuremnt at rear fender lip 1/2 tank of gas: RPG with Tow Bumps with trailer loaded.
DR-41"
PR-41.5"

***It is obvious from reading previous posts that there are many that wouldn't consider towing this type of load with a 1/2 ton pickup, especially the Raptor. My trailers haven't changed much over time, but the pickups are better regarding suspension roll, brakes, and engine/trans power. Suspension has always needed att'n.
I am used to pulling this type of load with a 1/2 ton pickup. Not everybody is. Some of my 3/4 ton pickups in the past didn't pull a load such as this any better in stock form.
This is simply my opinion and results, take it for what it's worth.

My previous 1/2 ton with Airlift bags running 80psi, same trailer, same load. 80psi in Airlift Bag Setup. 04 FX4, 3.73 gear, pulled good with K&N CAI, FLomaster Catback, and Edge Controller.
IMG_0248_zps7db477e2.jpg

2012 Raptor, RPG 4" bumpstops.
IMG_0735_zpsea5a20c9.jpg

Closer Look:
IMG_0738_zpsd590f5ee.jpg

Driver side and Pass side after 50mile trip with in town bumps, railroad crossing (rough).
IMG_0741_zpsc56969bf.jpg

IMG_0742_zps4e201d1e.jpg

What's in the trailer: As soon as I figure out how to make a Cobra Jet street legal, I may have to trade. LOL
IMG_0749_zps1dc879cb.jpg

Overall, The Raptor with this set up has a very solid feel on the road. I believe what little I am feeling is the tires compared to previous 1/2ton pickups with this load. I drove this truck with tow/haul engaged, it stayed in 6th gear on KS flat highway with 15mph sidewind, no downshifts like previous 4spd F150's.

FWIW, I tested this pickup (in 100% stock form) next to a 2012 F150 Platinum Super Crew with Max Tow. Fender Sag with this tongue weight was nearly the same.
I preferred the feel of the 6.2 over EB on engine and trans combo.

I will say the Air Lift bag set up on my 04 FX4 was more comfy but did not have a way to record total drop of course.

*** After installing the RPG Kit I opted to leave the stock jounce bumps on simply for a visible register of how tounge weight registered.

Please add to this thread with your results and loads. I have had many inquire about how much total, tongue, ride, etc.

Once again, I will add tongue weight with this set up once I get a accurate scale. I will also update once I run the equalizer hitch set up pictured below. From previous results, I believe this will be an excellent combo that will not push the max on the equalizer. Never a good idea.
*This was pre RPG Stage 2 with Tow Bumpstops max'd out.
2012-06-19_20-39-03_820-1_zps5315db5c.jpg

Last edited:

magstar67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mid Perch and towing/hauling...

I like the idea of less body roll and less nose dive with the mid perch. I will probably be ridiculed for throwing this out there but I have read that having the mid perch combined with towing or hauling a load in the bed will make the back of the truck too low, has anyone ever tried using an add-a-leaf in the rear to keep the back from squatting as much?

I actually dont mind the factory stance of the truck but as stated like the other advantages of the mid perch, and also wouldnt mind having a little more towing/hauling capability too, adding the extra leaf usually lifts the rear of the truck and inch or so based on past experience...so to keep the current stance of the truck the front would have to be raised a bit which the mid perch would accomplish.

What would the add-a-leaf do to the performance of the rear suspension of the truck??? Probably defeats the purpose of buying a Raptor if it significantly effects the performance of it's suspension as designed???

Just throwing it out there...thoughts?

Evilmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on mid perch right now. I tow a trailer full of quads and gear the goes almost 5k. When the trailer is hooked up I have a small amount or rear sag. Nothing to bad. No handling problems at all. I have also considered adding another leaf but will probably just end up with some Deavers. How much weight are you towing?

Toms

Reaction score
This is something I have always thought about to about going mid perch. Since when ever I tow my boat or quads its always a long drive (5+ hours) on the highway.