Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gunner75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok fellas, I cannot seem to re locate the thread that had a lot of Raptor towing info in it.
Please move this if need be to a better suited area.

The pic below is of my 04 FX4, has 2" leveling kit up front, rear bags (guessing I have them at 50lbs in the photo).
Without the leveling kit, stock 06 F150 King Ranch sets fair. I went ahead and installed air bags on the rear of that truck as well and it pulls great.
The trailer pictured is a 24' car hauler that typicly has a 70's muscle car in it to go to car shows here and there.
I don't pull it much, maybe 150 miles one way, 4 times a year.

Looking to trade my two F150's in on a Raptor, and am worried about pulling such a trailer.
How much more sag/trouble am I going to have with the Raptor over what I currently have?

Since air lift doesn't make a kit for the Raptor, I am looking at these.
Ford Application Guide for Timbren Suspension Enhancement Systems

I know I should get a trailer equalizer for this trailer, just haven't got around to doing that yet.

Thanks for a great forum.

IMG_0251.jpg

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my 2010 pulling my 24ft enclosed around 6800lbs. I do have the weight dist hitch and, I would never tow without it again... If you went with the supercrew the tow is 7k lbs and with a good hitch I think you will be good. What is the weight of the trailer with the car in it?
Meetandgreetandtrip014.jpg

Gunner75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. You know, I have yet to weigh the car let alone the trailer with generator and a few other items in it.
Better get that accomplished.

I don't think the car I pull is over 3700lbs, guessing the trailer at?????? I will give Pace a call and see if they will provide a weight.

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Screw is 8000lbs because of the suspension. It has more then enough motor. Same motor as the f350 .wd hitch makes for a real nice tow.

Gunner75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think I just figured that out about Pace as they were going to raise the floor in this thing to allow full open doors on cars. Sucks.

So by bending the frame you were using the Timbren Kit? Or are you saying the 28" trailer due to tongue weight did it?

So, from everything I have read, I am pushing the limit of the Raptor. Guessing it is the rear spring rate that is less than the std F150?

Thanks for the help fellas.

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think I just figured that out about Pace as they were going to raise the floor in this thing to allow full open doors on cars. Sucks.

So by bending the frame you were using the Timbren Kit? Or are you saying the 28" trailer due to tongue weight did it?

So, from everything I have read, I am pushing the limit of the Raptor. Guessing it is the rear spring rate that is less than the std F150?

When you add in the weight of the car, tools, spare tires, fuel, accessories and misc junk we all have in the car haulers, you'll be overweight on the Raptor. Yes, the Raptor has a much lower towing capacity than a regular F150. After unhooking the trailer and examining my Raptor I could easily see where the stock bumpstops were hitting the leafs. Probably from going over bumps in the highway (Arkansas sucks!). If you are stuck towing with your Raptor (I was for awhile), install an aftermarket bumpstop kit. I installed Outlaw Raptor's and it works great.

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct,if you bottom out the stock bump stop there is a chance but with a wd hitch you should be fine, no problem with mine and I tow a 30ft camper.now I wouldn't tow it without the hitch across the street.

gordhunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its only four times a year and you are worried about it just rent a truck when you do the trip

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

BigScott

Banned
Reaction score

Not sure if SPRSNK had a load dist hitch or not, Just stock crew Raptor I think.

You are correct about Rear spring rate. A good cure would be Heavy duty National springs from RPG (vendor on FRF) with a RPG frame stiffner and air bump stop in case it does hit a big bump.
A must would be the load distrubiting hitch (did I spell that right ?) the best L/D hitch is the one without chains, but bars that rest on a L bracket. (also works as a sway control due to friction)

I hope this answers some of your questions, ask more if you have them. We all learn.
Thanks Big Scott