Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
2nd that, 4x a year. I tow 2-3x per month @ 7K. open car trailor and my crawler. Raptor tows this rig great, no sway, lots of power, stopping no problem, and about 10MPG. at 70mph.

Attachments

• IMG_8238.jpg
    IMG_8238.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 68

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if SPRSNK had a load dist hitch or not, Just stock crew Raptor I think.

I did have the weight distro hitch when towing the car. The picture in that thread of mine is when I was hauling 2 side by side UTV's and nothing else. Also keep in mind, that picture in my thread is of my other Raptor that is now the PreRunner. I bent the frame (slightly) on my 2012 SCrew from towing. I know I was overloaded.

Gunner75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor is everything I want in a truck minus the towing capability. I know I would be giving up some ride and likely a lot of it, but what about installing a set of springs off of a Std 4wd F150 to gain some spring rate back. I phoned the local Ford dealer and they are supposed to get back with me to see if it is a direct swap. Thoughts.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Raptor is everything I want in a truck minus the towing capability. I know I would be giving up some ride and likely a lot of it, but what about installing a set of springs off of a Std 4wd F150 to gain some spring rate back. I phoned the local Ford dealer and they are supposed to get back with me to see if it is a direct swap. Thoughts.

Plz let me know how this works out. I would be interested in this also. I am in the same boat. I love the way the raptor does everything but the one thing I wish it could do is haul and tow a little more.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FilthyRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need an ultra light enclosed 8.5x 18 or 20ft trailer that can hold a 5400lb bentley in it.
This means the trailer and acc have to be under 2600lbs I want something around 2000lbs so I can have a stack of wheels/tires and a 55gal drum of gas.

I'm having a hard time finding this.

Gunner75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I phoned Super Spring and inquired about what they suggested as I am waiting on info from my dealer. They recommended the SSA5 with mount kit MTKT in which adds 950lbs capacity. The SA28 springs don't use the MTKT mount kit. This spring set up adds 1500lbs capacity.
I am 1/2 tempted to try the SA28 as I would pin instead of using bolts for quick removal. Plus I have a buddy that has a F150 that would likely take them off my hands if I don't like them.
I will post up what my dealer comes up with and what direction I move.

Justafordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2nd that, 4x a year. I tow 2-3x per month @ 7K. open car trailor and my crawler. Raptor tows this rig great, no sway, lots of power, stopping no problem, and about 10MPG. at 70mph.

That's good to know, I was wondering about towing my Bronco with the Raptor instead of my Superduty.

By the way that a really nice Bronco.

Gunner75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waiting to hear back from Ford SVT on springs through my dealer.

Ok, well this is turning into more than I figured on a couple different levels. First, I know the Raptor isn't a tow vehicle (for my needs anyhow) but it is what a F150 should be in my mind. Towing is its only problem I have. A bit more fuel mileage would be nice, but towing/hitch weight is my issue.

My previous pickup (s) I installed Air Ride bags on. Pulled my 24' enclosed car hauler (est 10,000lbs) OK. Power was minimal, fuel mileage was 8.5mpg, but it worked for no more than I pull.

I never installed an equilizer hitch on that trailer or the 18' flatbed I use as well. I picked up a Anderson #3350 No Sway Weight Distribution Hitch yesterday. $425 out the door, simple as I have seen, and it does work. Still doesn't cure my issue with the Raptor, but wish I would have had this on my other pickups. Would have been awesome especially with air bags.

The Anderson I bought is rated at 14,000lbs, 1,400lbs tongue weight.

These are my wheel lip results:
Unloaded trailer (no car) On Concrete
LR 42 3/4
RR 43 3/8
LF 40 3/8
RF 40 1/2

Empty Trailer with adjusted Anderson Hitch
LR 40 7/8
RR 40 3/8
LF 41
RF 41 1/4

Trailer with 900lb Polaris 4 wheeler up near cabinets.
LR 40 3/8 (.5" to bump stop)
RR 39 3/4 (.250 to bump stop)
LF 41 1/4
RF 41 3/8

I really think the Anderson hitch is good stuff, Anti Sway built in, Simple, quick to hook up, etc.

Obviously I am going to have to beef the rear Raptor springs up a touch more before loading a car in this thing.

I looked to Super Spring:
They make two applications.
SSA5 with MTKT Kit 950lbs addition is what they told me.
SA28 with no mount kit is 1500lbs.

I think I am going to look at the SA28 as it doesn't require the mount kit. I may be wrong, but if I replace the two shackle bolts with hardened pins and clips, I could remove the complete spring set up in a matter of minutes and gain my daily driving ride back.

The SSA5 would likely get me by with the Anderson hitch to get the rear of the truck higher off the stops, but the SA28 may be quick detach.

Thoughts or experience with the Super Springs?

I'll post pics shortly.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

2012-06-19_20-39-03_820.jpg

2012-06-20_18-40-49_470.jpg

With 4wheeler at front of trailer:
2012-06-20_18-41-49_930.jpg

blood

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you up on front perch? that will look like more sag .you can also raise the ball to level the trailer.i have the bars on my hitch and can take all the wait off if i wanted, no sag at all but then its to light in the rear. so i know they work well.