Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Thanks for the mention @Bulletnjm
@ZBoater While not really necessary to upgrade shocks, if you were looking to upgrade, it would not be the worst time to do so. Having the SVC A.B.S. in tow mode and deaver +3 leafs (maybe even with a custom load leaf too) would be a great choice with or without upgrading shocks. Great thing about upgrading to fox 3.0s is we can have them tuned for your situation. But yet they are still adjustable so you can ramp up the dampening while towing, but dial it down when offroading.

Ill send you over a quote, and break it down. :)

-Joseph Haynes

Bigg50

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You'll likely be over the Raptor's towing capacity loaded. I'm sure with some mods you can handle it better but keep in mind you'll still be over the legal limit when loaded. Motor will handle it all day long.

For what it's worth, my travel trailer is 5500 dry and probably up past 6500 loaded. I wouldn't want to tow more than that for long distances.

decoste77

Reaction score
Thanks for the mention @Bulletnjm
@ZBoater While not really necessary to upgrade shocks, if you were looking to upgrade, it would not be the worst time to do so. Having the SVC A.B.S. in tow mode and deaver +3 leafs (maybe even with a custom load leaf too) would be a great choice with or without upgrading shocks. Great thing about upgrading to fox 3.0s is we can have them tuned for your situation. But yet they are still adjustable so you can ramp up the dampening while towing, but dial it down when offroading.

Ill send you over a quote, and break it down. :)

-Joseph Haynes

SVC A.B.S and Deavers worked for me

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I can keep it under 8,000 lbs. so it won't be "over" loaded. It will be at the max for sure. I've been boating for quite a while and am pretty good at weight planning.

A F250 is definitely a better choice. But I don't want to get rid of my Raptor. Not when I can make it work for the few times a year I'll be towing. When I upgrade to a bigger trailer or fifth wheel I'll have no choice but to upgrade the truck.

warrior

Your Wife's Personal Trainer
Reaction score
Ok, so how about some suspension upgrade recommendations?

I'm coming up on 40K miles, which I understand is the average life expectancy of the stock Fox shocks.

If I'm gonna start pulling a 7000+ lb. trailer, maybe it's time to upgrade?

I'm thinking new shocks, hydraulic bump stops and new springs. I don't want to change the character of the truck too much though, so maybe new Fox shocks, SVC bump stops and some beefier springs?

How much is this gonna run me? :(

40k and the stock shocks are wore out? WTF...... I tow 8k 100 miles+ 2x per month minimum, no problems. my truck just turned 45K all Ive replaced was tires and rear brakes/rotors.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
40k and the stock shocks are wore out? WTF...... I tow 8k 100 miles+ 2x per month minimum, no problems. my truck just turned 45K all Ive replaced was tires and rear brakes/rotors.

No no, they're not wore out. I just read they last about 40K miles, but mine seem fine. I may skip the new shocks and just do springs and bump stop given the price. All that money could be a nice down payment on a F250.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mid perch and towing

im going to be towing a trailer. Won't exceed 8000 lbs, but probably 7999. Will be using quality weight distributing hitch.

I had mid perch done in a failed attempt to install 37" tires. Should I go back to bottom perch if I intend to tow max load? Will mid perch screw me up in dome way?

PropDr

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mid Perch should have nothing to do with towing (my experience), but I would recommend to use a bump stop system that can be set up for towing.
Great improvement! (again my experience)

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Mid perch is fine. You will be lower in the rear much quicker since the truck is already nearly level once weight is on. But with bumps you will be fine.