Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I think I see new springs and stops in my near future. Still undecided about buying the RV. Need to decide on that first.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone towing an Airstream trailer?

I'm thinking of an Airstream 30' trailer. 7000lbs towing. Anyone else doing this? Care to share your tips?

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ZBoater,
Definitely use a load leveling hitch. Usually a pair of torsion bars tha tput more weight to the front of the truck giving a more level ride to the pulling truck. This way your headlights aren't searching the sky for UFO's at night. I remember seeing one set up properly, they then jacked up the truck and took off one of the wheels and dropped the jack...the truck was still level.
Reese, Curt, Uhaul, etc all have variants. Also consider an anti sway addition to the load leveling hitch. These commonly have a smaller ball off to the right of the main hitch ball. A damper hitches to the smaller ball and to the trailer helping control the tail wagging the dog....

Weight Distribution Hitches by Eaz-Lift, Reese and Equal-i-zer

Attachments

• eaz-lift-round-bar.jpg
    eaz-lift-round-bar.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 239

RaptorScrew

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd agree with @Ditchplains1 however I'd go with an Equilizer (Brand) Equilzer Hitch. It will do both in keeping your load level AND provides the anti-sway control. It's not equipped with the chains (which provide more play and movement). It provides the straight bars and is solid.

equal-i-zer%20weight%20distributing%20hitch.jpg

Snoopaloop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A load distributing hitch is a must in my opinion. My mom decided to take a road trip to Tennessee with her airstream that she had never towed anywhere before. We were on the bumpstops of her 07 GMC Yukon Denali the whole trip. Granted, we had a full load of people, dogs, and lots of food. It would sway to a point where it was steering the suv by itself anywhere over 55. The load distributing hitch would have saved us some very tense moments. Needless to say, we went out and bought one after that trip. No problems now!!

Grunzen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got that exact trailer and have towed it about 3000 miles. Did pretty good though you MUST use a load leveler. I have the equalizer brand and it worked real well. The looks you get from people on inclines at 6000+ feet elevation pulling a 34ft trailer as your passing them is priceless...

7raptor

Reaction score
Towing w/ 2014

I have a 2014 screw.

Getting a new boat, will keep it slipped most of the time but may want to tow once in a while, Appx 200 mile trips, LA to San Diego.

What's the most weight I can tow safely with the raptor? I did not buy this truck with the intention of doing any towing, and I have access to another truck that can tow, but if I'm doing the trip by myself I'd rather use my truck.