Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Az Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And then, the argument started.

I have likely towed as much as any person on here. I know for a fact that if you are in an accident, that every effort, as unfounded as they may be.

For instance, one of my trucks that I own for work was involved in an accident. A car, (Who let his insurance lapse the night before) ran a red light. A cop saw him run the light. He hit a car, and that car was pushed into our truck. Somehow, some way, we were found 50% responsible for the accident by the insurance companies.

Like I said, if they want to find a fault against you, they will.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
AZ, it's odd to "like" a post that has an unfortunate experience in it, but yours was informative. Like Marcs said, the insurance companies will assign blame and it won't have much to do with reality. It's a money thing, so only the numbers matter.

Back to towing, I've towed cross-country twice with my 2011 6.2L Raptor. Both times from north Alabama to northern Nevada, and both times towing rented U-Haul trailers. The first time was this past August, and I was towing a 6 x 12 trailer. The Raptor didn't like it, and the fuel economy proved it. I honestly thought there was something wrong with the truck the mpg was so bad. The second time was just a couple weeks ago, and it was a smaller 5 x 8 trailer. It was heavily loaded with weight lifting iron, and a lot of other very heavy stuff that I didn't want to pay a mover by the pound to move. The gross weight was probably close to what I pulled in the larger trailer, but the fuel economy was MUCH BETTER. So my experience leads me to believe that wind resistance plays at least as great a roll as weight when towing with the Raptor.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AZ, it's odd to "like" a post that has an unfortunate experience in it, but yours was informative. Like Marcs said, the insurance companies will assign blame and it won't have much to do with reality. It's a money thing, so only the numbers matter.

Back to towing, I've towed cross-country twice with my 2011 6.2L Raptor. Both times from north Alabama to northern Nevada, and both times towing rented U-Haul trailers. The first time was this past August, and I was towing a 6 x 12 trailer. The Raptor didn't like it, and the fuel economy proved it. I honestly thought there was something wrong with the truck the mpg was so bad. The second time was just a couple weeks ago, and it was a smaller 5 x 8 trailer. It was heavily loaded with weight lifting iron, and a lot of other very heavy stuff that I didn't want to pay a mover by the pound to move. The gross weight was probably close to what I pulled in the larger trailer, but the fuel economy was MUCH BETTER. So my experience leads me to believe that wind resistance plays at least as great a roll as weight when towing with the Raptor.

"Sail area" is one of the largest factors regarding MPG when towing anything. Even an empty utility trailer with a ramp style gate can penalize you 4 mpg even if its the expanded metal style. All depends on the surface area. That's why a V nose style enclosed trailer is better for long distance.

Statetraveler

Reaction score
Read my thread before commenting please

If you dont want to discuss it why start a thread?

I started the thread because a few months ago I had no other choice but to pull 9kish. There was no info other then the scare of an insurance company. I'm aware and so is most people of the legal possibility. But I did it and would like anyone else in my position to know I did it. The weight distribution hitch plus trailer braking controls and anti sway technology.....I was fine and complimented often. Thank god I didn't buy so 2009 f250 and dump thousands of dollars into maintaining it and the difference in fuel...thank god

And thank god I own a raptor!

Statetraveler

Reaction score
I started the thread because a few months ago I had no other choice but to pull 9kish. There was no info other then the scare of an insurance company. I'm aware and so is most people of the legal possibility. But I did it and would like anyone else in my position to know I did it. The weight distribution hitch plus trailer braking controls and anti sway technology.....I was fine and complimented often. Thank god I didn't buy so 2009 f250 and dump thousands of dollars into maintaining it and the difference in fuel...thank god

And thank god I own a raptor!

On another note if an accident occurred has anyone on here ever gone threw it with the insurance company? Did he insurance company pick up all the damage and weigh it? Please only answer this question if you've actually experienced it.

ZBoater

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok, so how about some suspension upgrade recommendations?

I'm coming up on 40K miles, which I understand is the average life expectancy of the stock Fox shocks.

If I'm gonna start pulling a 7000+ lb. trailer, maybe it's time to upgrade?

I'm thinking new shocks, hydraulic bump stops and new springs. I don't want to change the character of the truck too much though, so maybe new Fox shocks, SVC bump stops and some beefier springs?

How much is this gonna run me? :(