Towing a 25 ft Offshore Boat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jobsitefish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had the boat bug for about 7 years, I got saltwater on my blood and the kayak is not cutting it. I have now decided that I will buy a boat by late this year or early next. Probably during some of the boat shows.

I have done a lot of reading on the few towing threads but I want to hear some opinions.

I love this truck to death but at 8000 lb towing capacity, it is a bit limited for the big toys. I am looking at a 25 Ft center console with twin 150 engines, 4200 lbs dry, about 6200 with half a tank of fuel, engines, etc. When you add the trailer weight we are already looking at almost 8000. Chances are I won't be driving around filled up with 150 gallons of fuel, but I don't like going beyond the limit or getting to the limit. I would also like to do the occasional long towing trip once or twice a year, to another state like Florida. The Raptor seems like a very capable truck and it has all the towing bells and whistles, except for suspension.

With the resale value of this truck I could probably sell and go in another direction but I love this truck way too much. I really don't like any other truck like the Raptor.

Having said that, if I get a weight distribution hitch and RPG bump stops do you think it will be good for the boat?

I hope the answer is yes :signs8:

Icecobra

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It sounds as if you made your mind up to keep the truck.. Now you just need to do everything you can to get it up to towing the full 8000 pounds.. Also watch the axle weights to make sure you stay in the limits of it.. Cargo weight to make sure you stay in the limits of it.. But in the end, go slow while towing, take your time, always remember stopping distance is a ton more... You will be fine..

amphibian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My boat is about 8000 lbs and I tow it all the time, completely stock. You'll know it's back there, you're not driving an F-350 after all, but it will get the job done.

It does squat a bit, but that's going to vary more by tongue weight than overall weight. IMO if you did HD springs and bumps you'd be more than set. That's what I'm planning on doing.

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When we bought our truck, we regularly towed around 7000 lbs around town and over 800 miles one way when we took our boat to the cabin. No issues at all. I was more worried about trailer axles than the truck. As was stated above, I knew it was back there, but the Raptor is a super-stable tow platform having a much wider stance than a typical truck, big brakes, long wheelbase and gobs of torque. No it's not a diesel super duty, but 8000lbs wouldn't worry me unless I had 1000 lbs of tongue-weight, then would go for stiffer springs. My truck, with 650 lbs of tongue-weight didn't even squat. My boat is 25' and 30' with swim platform on the trailer.

Attachments

• 232323232fp34__nu=3292_8;5_9_7_WSNRCG=3233_84399883nu0mrj.jpg
    232323232fp34__nu=3292_8;5_9_7_WSNRCG=3233_84399883nu0mrj.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

CAbimmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just towed 5k#s 1300 miles over the last weekend. The Raptor tows great, has adequate brakes and is so comfy on long drives.
20140523_183155.jpg

Timex

Reaction score
Any of you guys have issues with the truck maintaing 65mph? My boat weighs in at 7000lbs (including trailer and full tank of gas). I have 365/65/18" tires. On flat, straight highway, and in tow/haul mode, the Raptor will downshift every 30" or so. Is this normal?
i actually have it at the dealer today to check it out. Im concerned that they are going to tell me its because of the tires.

CAbimmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is about 5k pounds and I dont have any shifting issues going 75