Top hat failure with aftermarket springs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
wazatataza

wazatataza

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t guess he made any friends at Eibach or Geiser. But he’s all warm and fuzzy with SDI. I’m not seeing how the SDI coil bucket cures all those issues. My take away from the video is the main culprit is the live valve shocks . Once again technology that’s supposed to make life better, just creates more problems. I have the FRS live valves on my 19 and wish I’d just deleted live valve and went with non live valve FRS.
But perhaps the most telling statement was when he said these trucks aren’t pre runners, they are just stock trucks. If you drive a stock truck like you are Walker Evans, don’t be surprised when chit breaks. I wonder how the coil buckets are looking on that Raptor from the Hoonigan This V That video( assuming everyone had seen that).
lol my thoughts exactly. Many of these things like frame stress cracks won’t be noticed with regular driving, it’ll take an assessment of all the welds etc.

HOLLYWOOD 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a solid prep. Also sounds like you drive smart. As with any offroad adventures guys get pumped and send it some times, its fun! Off roading is tough on equipment.

That's super bad ass that you guys have a chase truck!
They have two on every run. With flat bed trailers attached. With two mechanics. The trucks even have welding machines. No one wants to be down on a run. Those mechanics work late into the night / early morning fixing trucks. Pretty amazing!

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mostly because of the ride height sensor and how changes in the ride height via Deavers or FFRS. According to literature that came with my FFRS changing ride height 1in front or rear is within the shocks range of movement and is allowed. And if somehow a person manages to rip a wire loose from the magnet, which isn’t likely in the desert, but more than possible in east coast woodland wheeling, the live valve will default to full stiff( just lobbed a soft ball for Nex). I don’t do Forscan, because I’m a Neanderthal geezer, sad but true. And from explanations I’ve read from Fordtech, Forscan can’t recalibrate the ride height sensor, it requires a dealer only program and I don’t trust a dealer to correctly screw on an oil filter. No offense to actual good techs, you are the minority of guys out there.In my interpretation of Fordtech’s explanation is incorrect, I’ll stand corrected. And as Keep it Dirty said, they don’t typically see those failures in the blue shock years. To date I’ve only wheeled mostly rocky trails, the type of roads I see out west on YouTube channels don’t really exist around here. As long as I air down and run the FFRS in the middle setting, it seems fine, and my Hiway ride seems fine in comparison to our Gen 3 with the stock LV shocks. I just feel I could of eliminated a lot of worry with out LV.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mostly because of the ride height sensor and how changes in the ride height via Deavers or FFRS. According to literature that came with my FFRS changing ride height 1in front or rear is within the shocks range of movement and is allowed. And if somehow a person manages to rip a wire loose from the magnet, which isn’t likely in the desert, but more than possible in east coast woodland wheeling, the live valve will default to full stiff( just lobbed a soft ball for Nex). I don’t do Forscan, because I’m a Neanderthal geezer, sad but true. And from explanations I’ve read from Fordtech, Forscan can’t recalibrate the ride height sensor, it requires a dealer only program and I don’t trust a dealer to correctly screw on an oil filter. No offense to actual good techs, you are the minority of guys out there.In my interpretation of Fordtech’s explanation is incorrect, I’ll stand corrected. And as Keep it Dirty said, they don’t typically see those failures in the blue shock years. To date I’ve only wheeled mostly rocky trails, the type of roads I see out west on YouTube channels don’t really exist around here. As long as I air down and run the FFRS in the middle setting, it seems fine, and my Hiway ride seems fine in comparison to our Gen 3 with the stock LV shocks. I just feel I could of eliminated a lot of worry with out LV.
OR
The Live Valve shocks are more capable and as such give the driver more confidence and as such allows the driver to drive harder and damage other components.

DFS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the same guy that tried to lemon law his truck after modding front suspension with Eibach springs and 37" tires, blowing his steering rack, documenting failure on Youtube, then returning to stock for warranty claim. He's a slimeball at best. Every product he endorses ends up getting slammed by him 6 months later when something fails. Dude will hitch his wagon to anyone willing to listen to him, and get on his knees for anyone willing to pay him ( SDI, I know nothing of SDI quality or performance).

I'm sure if he had an actual audience or relevancy he'd have a cease and desist from Ford for his warranty shenanigans, but he doesn't.