GEN 2 To much weight in the trunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DLU

Reaction score
I lost my mind when i loaded half yard of 3/4 crushed rock in the bed of my 2018 Raptor. Weight max is 1200lbs for the truck the half yard is 1300lbs. Needless to say the truck sunk down faster than a you know what on a freezing cold day. My drive was short and only had the rock in the bed for about 45 min. 15 min took it easy drive and half hour shoveling it out fast as possible including the sweeping out every rock. The springs popped back up, no leaks or noticeable damage and seems to ride the same. could be my imagination but doesn't feel as tight as before, the little off road trip fairly mild bumpy hills didn't have any issues but still feel something is off. Any suggestions what to check or how to see if truck level is correct? Only other issue is little rocks in the tail gate, lets me know what a dumb a$$ i was. My old truck of 20 years was a beast and hauled 1 3/4 yards of anything without even noticing it was back there. Was to late before i realized what i had done.

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t imagine you caused any permanent damage on factory springs, but possibly pushed them farther than they’d been compressed before. Unless you were bottomed out all the way home, the shocks should be fine, but even then the bump stops should take the load before the shocks would. Maybe you “broke in” the springs that last little bit and that is why it feels looser?

I had a 2005 Nissan Titan that went through 3 sets of rear springs before 40K miles. Every time I would tow my trailer the truck would get lower, to the point where after 3-4 trips it was 2” low in the rear. I was using a weight distribution hitch and was within the specs for the truck on tongue weight and trailer load. After the second set of new leaves Nissan told me to add airbags for the load, I said no and brought my loaded trailer in to them to inspect and they found nothing wrong. The next towing trip I hit a particularly bad section of highway and on a large bump the springs deflected so far the stock tires hit the leading edge of the wheel wells, meaning the tires came forward 3” to rub. That was the day I decided to sell it and get a 2500.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lost my mind when i loaded half yard of 3/4 crushed rock in the bed of my 2018 Raptor. Weight max is 1200lbs for the truck the half yard is 1300lbs. Needless to say the truck sunk down faster than a you know what on a freezing cold day. My drive was short and only had the rock in the bed for about 45 min. 15 min took it easy drive and half hour shoveling it out fast as possible including the sweeping out every rock. The springs popped back up, no leaks or noticeable damage and seems to ride the same. could be my imagination but doesn't feel as tight as before, the little off road trip fairly mild bumpy hills didn't have any issues but still feel something is off. Any suggestions what to check or how to see if truck level is correct? Only other issue is little rocks in the tail gate, lets me know what a dumb a$$ i was. My old truck of 20 years was a beast and hauled 1 3/4 yards of anything without even noticing it was back there. Was to late before i realized what i had done.
total cargo weight of the truck is 1200lbs. bed capacity is less than that. you have to remember the soft offroad suspension is going to sag very easily with that much weight in the bed. theres a chance you overextended the springs and softened them up during this trip.