Thoughts on preventative battery change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Happened to go out on an overnight trip, and discovered that night what was probably taking a slow trickle from it. Apparently if the sliding tray in the front console (the one with the USB ports) is open, the light inside it stays on even when the truck is turned off and locked.

AHA! So I’m not the only one to notice this. I don’t recall how long I waited, but I was mucking about with the truck a month or so back and noticed the same thing. Locked it up and waited, returned to the garage a time later, light still on. Waited some more, checked again, light still on. I gave up and closed the tray. I’m not sure how long that light should remain on, but everything else in the truck was shut down.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I disabled auto start when I got the truck new, there is no possible way that feature can be helpful to battery life. You might save .02 gallons of gas per tank, but maybe you gotta buy a battery every 3rd year? Yeah...

If I walked out and the truck didn't start, yeah, I'd throw a new battery in it. I wouldn't replace it before that.

I also carry jumper cables.
If you disabled it via ForScan then it also disables the BMS (battery management system). Not sure what effect that actually has on longevity of the battery though.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Are you sure that it doesn’t go out after 15 minutes or so when the power to the usb goes off? I just ran out to the garage and checked my 2020. Light is off.
My 2020 will stay on. Mines 801 (or 800a?) I have a normal man key & leather seats - not sure if that makes a diff

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
I'll have to check my 2019 tray light to see if it stays on. You would think this is an oversight on Ford's design.

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talking about batteries, stay away from the X2Power Premium AGM from Batteries Plus.
Suppose to have a 5 year warranty. After 1 year went dead, wouldn't keep a charge over 24 hours.
Local store would not honor warranty, called corporate office and they stated the warranty only says it can be charged, says nothing about keeping a charge. :mad:
Went back to to Die Hard. No problems.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Talking about batteries, stay away from the X2Power Premium AGM from Batteries Plus.
Suppose to have a 5 year warranty. After 1 year went dead, wouldn't keep a charge over 24 hours.
Local store would not honor warranty, called corporate office and they stated the warranty only says it can be charged, says nothing about keeping a charge. :mad:
Da fuq kind of warranty is that!!!? I can charge a rock, but I'm pretty sure it will not start my truck afterwards!

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the bummer experience. There’s got to be more to the story. Did you bring the battery into the store dead? Meaning very low voltage?