Thoughts on DIY rear bumpstop kit/frame brace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey there, I’ve been talking to a fab friend about making my own rear bumpstop setup. Using pre fabbed pinch style air bump cans and 1.5” DOM tubing as the cross brace. It would not be as robust as the available kits out there for sure, and I plan on using 2.0 bumps instead of 2.5 bumps. But is there something I’m missing here? I like the idea of replacing the OEM rubber bumps, but just don’t see the $1500 price tag of some of the ready to purchase bolt in kits. Any thought or adds would be great. Thank you!

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey there, I’ve been talking to a fab friend about making my own rear bumpstop setup. Using pre fabbed pinch style air bump cans and 1.5” DOM tubing as the cross brace. It would not be as robust as the available kits out there for sure, and I plan on using 2.0 bumps instead of 2.5 bumps. But is there something I’m missing here? I like the idea of replacing the OEM rubber bumps, but just don’t see the $1500 price tag of some of the ready to purchase bolt in kits. Any thought or adds would be great. Thank you!

Are you planning on mounting them outside of the frame rail similar to available kits?

Are you going to cycle the suspension to set the height of the bump?

Planning on weld in or bolt on?

Frame reinforcement or no?

OP
OP
98rangerdave

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Are you planning on mounting them outside of the frame rail similar to available kits?

weighing the options, probably inside frame rail though.

going to use the rubber bump stop height as a starting point for bump travel.

weld in.

yes, planning on 1.5” DOM across the frame to add rigidity.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score

weighing the options, probably inside frame rail though.

going to use the rubber bump stop height as a starting point for bump travel.

weld in.

yes, planning on 1.5” DOM across the frame to add rigidity.

The further from the input force (centerline of the tire) the more force the bump stop would feel.

As far as cycling the suspension, you will likely notice inside the rail would need to be lower to keep the tire out of the fender vs further out.

Weld in will help work against the rotation of bolt in kits.

The Crossmember you are describing will fight the torsion of the frame rail but not the strong axis bending the frame will see during a full compression hit.

You probably would be better off money wise buying a kit, as @BlueOvalF22 said, that is already on the market if that is what you are after, but if you like solving problems this could be a good project.

BlueOvalF22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2.0 air bumps are $380 a pair, steel is $100 in material, bump vans are $80 a pair, fab work is $300. Still about $1000 off the next available kit out there.

Having to install a mock-up leaf spring cycling the axle up to determine placement and then running a 2.0 diameter bump like a ranger or a taco in a heavier truck... Priceless.

480+100+80+300= 960

That is about what a bumpstop rack is without stops.

Now buy a pre-built rack and then get used 2.5x 2.5 bumps off of race dezert or other off road market for $300 and you are done with 2.5" for $1200 with a lot less fiddle f*ckery.

PorterW1111

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’d say the only time you can something is when you want it better than what you can get in the store. Personally I wouldn’t spend a bunch of time to build something that would perform lesser. That being said I bet you could find any used bump kit for any vehicle and fab it on vs starting from scratch.

that said if you do plan to diy, pull the bed off and plate your frame in that back section. Do some crossed tube between the rails, def put the bumps on the outside of the frame, I’d even ru support from your crossed center brace to the bump can support. And then yeah def look for some used 2.5s, I feel the cost difference at that point is minimal.

again if I was going to build it myself I’d be sure it was built better than anything I could buy.

OP
OP
98rangerdave

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
running a 2.0 diameter bump like a ranger or a taco in a heavier truck... Priceless.

Now buy a pre-built rack and then get used 2.5x 2.5 bumps off of race dezert or other off road market for $300 and you are done with 2.5" for $1200 with a lot less fiddle f*ckery.

To confirm, you’re suggesting the OEM rubber bumps would outperform a 2.0 hydraulic bump stop?

As far as buying used, I’m not opposed to the secondhand market. I’ve been watching the garage sale section but only see the Gen 2 rear kits pop up here and there. Rare to find a Gen 1 kit but I’ll keep me eye open for it.

OP
OP
98rangerdave

98rangerdave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d say the only time you can something is when you want it better than what you can get in the store. Personally I wouldn’t spend a bunch of time to build something that would perform lesser. That being said I bet you could find any used bump kit for any vehicle and fab it on vs starting from scratch.

that said if you do plan to diy, pull the bed off and plate your frame in that back section. Do some crossed tube between the rails, def put the bumps on the outside of the frame, I’d even ru support from your crossed center brace to the bump can support. And then yeah def look for some used 2.5s, I feel the cost difference at that point is minimal.

again if I was going to build it myself I’d be sure it was built better than anything I could buy.

Thank you for the advice. Plating the frame sounds like a good idea and the bump can support is what I was thinking too. I would take the design queues from what on the market, but use different materials and have the kit welded in instead of bolt on. Gonna play around with some ideas and also watch the garage sale section in the mean time.

All this said, I don’t drive the truck hard enough to even need these, mostly a freeway commuter 95% of the time. But when I installed the front bump stop kit from forged Offroad, it really did make a difference the few times I actually take the truck in the dirt. I figure adding a similar setup in the rear would have its benefits as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter