There is more then one way to cause sever damage to a Raptor frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Many of the SVTO guys already know that my truck is on its second frame but before you read all the links of older threads I'd like to point out some difference between me and the frame benders. My truck does a lot of rock crawling and has never been faster then 40MPH off-road. I don't hold Ford responsible for the damage to my truck in fact I went to the dealer with the day passes still on my truck and all of my gear still in the bed and told the service writer that the truck has been taken off-road.

This is the same trail (not my truck) and hole that bent my frame. I was using a new spotter that was inexperienced and he didn't tell me about the huge hole I was approaching.
Ford Raptor at Dickey Bell Trail at Uhwharrie National Forrest - YouTubeThese 2 threads about what had happened.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f160/i-need-design-new-exhaust-found-another-possible-ford-design-flaw-lol-8659/

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/i-have-cluck-8663/

And this was the final result

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f9/what-cost-%244500-takes-32-hours-replace-8862/

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many of the SVTO guys already know that my truck is on its second frame but before you read all the links of older threads I'd like to point out some difference between me and the frame benders. My truck does a lot of rock crawling and has never been faster then 40MPH off-road. I don't hold Ford responsible for the damage to my truck in fact I went to the dealer with the day passes still on my truck and all of my gear still in the bed and told the service writer that the truck has been taken off-road.

This is the same trail (not my truck) and hole that bent my frame. I was using a new spotter that was inexperienced and he didn't tell me about the huge hole I was approaching.
Ford Raptor at Dickey Bell Trail at Uhwharrie National Forrest - YouTubeThese 2 threads about what had happened.
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f160/i-need-design-new-exhaust-found-another-possible-ford-design-flaw-lol-8659/

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/i-have-cluck-8663/

And this was the final result

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f9/what-cost-%244500-takes-32-hours-replace-8862/

I guess I dont understand the point of taking a Raptor through that stuff... I understand the point of wanting the different look of the Raptor but, to do that with one eludes me... I have a Jeep that I do that stuff with... IDK... Call me crazy or wht ever but, if I am going slow rock/trail stuff I am going to get a vehicle that can do it...

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess I dont understand the point of taking a Raptor through that stuff... I understand the point of wanting the different look of the Raptor but, to do that with one eludes me... I have a Jeep that I do that stuff with... IDK... Call me crazy or wht ever but, if I am going slow rock/trail stuff I am going to get a vehicle that can do it...

Crazy or whatever!

Some of us dont have acres of desert or sand to play in. yes there are better choices for rock climbing. The fact a Raptor with its width and length and go places most "4x4" can go. Really speaks a lot about this versitile offroad vehicle. In my opinion it is The Most adaptable off road vehicle produced.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score
Sorry to hear it, any pics of the damage to the old frame? Did the main rails hold up reasonably well?

MTUH3

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn that sucks. That is the importance of a good spotter. Those are the exact situations I knew this truck would have issues with before I left the dealer. In MI, I really only have rocks and tight trails that I like to play on... before I hit them, I will have some armor built up first.

OP
OP
The Tank

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Raptor as no problem doing that but the hole in video I hit head on. I wasn't going through the side like he was. The Raptor has no problem rock crawling. The stink bug stance is the trucks only real downfall.
Sorry to hear it, any pics of the damage to the old frame? Did the main rails hold up reasonably well?
yes its in the last thread. The main rails were not the main problem but they had some issues.
Damn that sucks. That is the importance of a good spotter. Those are the exact situations I knew this truck would have issues with before I left the dealer. In MI, I really only have rocks and tight trails that I like to play on... before I hit them, I will have some armor built up first.
Also you need to lift the front end.

NY SCREW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
so what your saying is a bad spotter is another way to bend your frame ...yeah ild prob drop kick someone after that happened

Tejas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been rock crawling for years and you are only as good as your spotter, but hey, you pick your spotter or decide to listen to whoever is out there helping so ultimately you are responsible. Know the trail you are running, if it's your first time then watch videos on it before your outing and learn it so you are better prepared when you actually face it. Know/learn your vehicle and it's capabilities and don't bite off more than you or it can chew.

Fact is the Raptor is a Ford F-150 built to run around in the desert, not crawl around on tight trails and over rocks. Can it do it, maybe under certain circumstances, but it wasn't designed for that and there are definitely much better choices for that application. I personally can't understand why one would choose to do this with their Raptor, but hey it's your truck and your money so you are free to do whatever you wish.

I am sorry to hear about the damage, but quite honestly I am not surprised.