The Towing Thread (Unofficially)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ty. When you say that though, and obviously I don’t know a lot about it, isn’t the tongue weight going to be what it is? In other words, can you intentionally load more toward the rear of the trailer than front or middle? I guess that would lighten tongue weight. For instance, if my heaviest item is a 700 pound Atv, should it rest in middle of trailer?

You need 10% of the total trailer weight as tongue weight to avoid sway. 3000lb total trailer weight = 300lb at the ball.

As loads get heavier, a weight distribution hitch will help mitigate rear end droop

OP
OP
MDJAK

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You need 10% of the total trailer weight as tongue weight to avoid sway. 3000lb total trailer weight = 300lb at the ball.

As loads get heavier, a weight distribution hitch will help mitigate rear end droop

So how does one weigh the weight on the tongue? I've seen hitches that have built in scales. is that the only way? TY.