The Towing Thread (Unofficially)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ciqir

Reaction score
yBjzPSPDbmriit5OJK6xh8gCMnCKIIXWORSj505-IOqbBm05-IJvESvxVsmFI3NuxQPvsUGYtCuixMCLEJ1UofIuNSjk-2muAsa2RsxcBrba181JyofsZEI2TPca3nhNawu_kXLhB82U4_9Q8eqM

A length of wood, a bathroom scale, and a little math will do for heavier than 250 lbs

http://hildstrom.com/projects/tonguescale/index.html

gto19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also your trailer manufacturer should be able to tell you your tongue weight . Like my atc ch405 weighs 3276 pounds empty and the tongue weight is 562 pounds ... of course that’s empty

NE Raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that the 6in Anderson?

Yes it is, with the 2 inch ball on one side 2 5/16 on the other side. Works great and Looks great - I tow a couple different trailers which require different heights and different ball sizes. It adjusts very quick too. I do use a shim on it for long trips just to tighten up and eliminate the little amount of slack in the hitch receiver. I suggest one if you get it as the lower side will wear when rubbing against the steel receiver - obviously because it is aluminum.

nowires

Reaction score
Yes it is, with the 2 inch ball on one side 2 5/16 on the other side. Works great and Looks great - I tow a couple different trailers which require different heights and different ball sizes. It adjusts very quick too. I do use a shim on it for long trips just to tighten up and eliminate the little amount of slack in the hitch receiver. I suggest one if you get it as the lower side will wear when rubbing against the steel receiver - obviously because it is aluminum.
Thanks! appreciate the info. I don't plan to tow a whole lot but want to be prepared incase I need to.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
here's my 2018 towing total of 6800 lbs trailer + 3/4" dense pack, making a huge sandbox/play area for swing set for kids in back yard. I originally tried renting the cheapest self dumping truck I could get but the payload was less than the trailer could take + it couldn't make it back up the hill w/o being assisted w/ recovery strap & Raptor...so decided to use a hydraulic dumping trailer instead.

Thats fully stock suspension, I was only going back/forth a dozen times or so to gravel plant within 5 miles of my house....if I were to be towing something 4-5k lbs+ on a more regular basis I'd get a weight dist. hitch OR - more likely - would've pulled the trigger on a set of Deaver +3 HDs aleady.

When I tow a single or double waverunner trailer (think 1200-3100 lbs) no squat really & barely any tongue weight

If it werent for the soft springs the Raptor would EASILY be the best towing 1/2 ton period, the combo of great suspension travel/articulation + all that TQ down low, 10 speed tranny, 4.10s, the closest thing to non-binding true AWD you can get in ANY truck makes for a perfect tow vehicle....its just the suspension holding it back....& helping it in a way as well

IMG_4663.jpg

IMG_4664.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
MDJAK

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wtf is up with this the whatever you call it on trailer is so high tailgate won’t open fully? Good thing I realized it before letting it drop down 9B881BBC-8D4B-43EB-BBA4-E5FB2976B475.jpeg

dsg2003mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wtf is up with this the whatever you call it on trailer is so high tailgate won’t open fully? Good thing I realized it before letting it drop down View attachment 146420

you can always convert it to a landing gear that folds up along side the frame of the trailer when not in use. That fixed location is a problem on all of em with the tailgate