The Raptor is not for everyone

What does the tribe think?

• Relax dude, stop sobbing, the truck is fine.

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • We all know @911 Crazy is headed in this direction too

Votes: 39 33.1%
  • Legit, bruh!

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Someone save that poor Raptor!

Votes: 57 48.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ST Beverly

Reaction score
Less sidewall, so when you hit something hard with your tire, there's less give, less protection, before you cut a sidewall or ding a rim, or both. The truck in the pic also has tires that stick way out past the fenders. Whether it looks cool or not is a matter of taste, but if his suspension goes anywhere near full travel, he's got body damage out the ying yang. He wasted a lot of money on a capable truck when he could have spent far less and gotten the same performance and the same look. He turned a race truck into a brodozer.
Ok! Now the suspension going full travel makes sense. I never liked the idea of lowering a truck onto wide big wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok! Now the suspension going full travel makes sense. I never liked the idea of lowering a truck onto wide big wheels.

Like you can see, you can get away with doing things like this on a street truck. Not a serious use off road truck. Sure you can go slow through some trails and watch it, but. You can do larger wheels but best to not push the offset and have them sticking way out. As just mentioned that could be a problem.

blackbird18

Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me what the issue is with larger wheels? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not contesting what you are saying but rather I want to see your view point. I can understand no one should ruin an awesome beast like the Raptor with extra wide low wheels and tires. When I bought my 18 SCREW Leadfoot beast it already had larger wheels on it. I haven’t had any issues nor have I been told that there are issues imminent. Granted, they aren’t excessive by any means but they are indeed larger than stock. I have gotten plenty of compliments on the way it looks from admirers as well as dealership employees, although I hate the way the wheels look. I have always been into cars since I have been able to drive. I can remember when putting huge wheels and tires on your truck would throw off the alignment. Maybe my truck was referred to compensate for the larger wheels and tires but I don’t know that for sure. But what damage are you saying can be caused from it?

I'm guessing the wider wheels will cause some pretty bad damage if the suspension ever gets up towards max compression. However, it is likely a safe bet that that truck won't see anything more extreme than a speed bump.

It is his truck and he is free to do with it what he pleases. We are free to look upon it with disdain and call him a ******* for seriously reducing the capabilities of a Raptor in pursuit of trailer park greatness.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me what the issue is with larger wheels? Don’t get me wrong, I’m not contesting what you are saying but rather I want to see your view point. I can understand no one should ruin an awesome beast like the Raptor with extra wide low wheels and tires. When I bought my 18 SCREW Leadfoot beast it already had larger wheels on it. I haven’t had any issues nor have I been told that there are issues imminent. Granted, they aren’t excessive by any means but they are indeed larger than stock. I have gotten plenty of compliments on the way it looks from admirers as well as dealership employees, although I hate the way the wheels look. I have always been into cars since I have been able to drive. I can remember when putting huge wheels and tires on your truck would throw off the alignment. Maybe my truck was referred to compensate for the larger wheels and tires but I don’t know that for sure. But what damage are you saying can be caused from it?

A lot of it depends on how you’ll use your truck. I want more sidewall for better off road performance. A bigger sidewall grabs better in snow and mud, and allows you to air down. 17” rims will also offer better on road ride quality over a 20” rim.

Take a look at AEV’s Ram Prospector on 40” tires. They are running a 17” rim for better off road performance.

ST Beverly

Reaction score
A lot of it depends on how you’ll use your truck. I want more sidewall for better off road performance. A bigger sidewall grabs better in snow and mud, and allows you to air down. 17” rims will also offer better on road ride quality over a 20” rim.

Take a look at AEV’s Ram Prospector on 40” tires. They are running a 17” rim for better off road performance.
Another great comment that makes sense. Thanks for that!

Venerous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got 20s for looks around town (personally think it looks better with 20s) but kept the stock 17s for offroad use, switch out before I leave. Dude in the pic should have just saved himself the money and gone with a Taco. I mean by 20s poke a bit like an inch and a 1/4 maybe but, those look like a negative 70000 offset... I guess "other things" don't stick out enough so maybe this is his way to compensate? Ehh, to each their own.

ST Beverly

Reaction score
I'm guessing the wider wheels will cause some pretty bad damage if the suspension ever gets up towards max compression. However, it is likely a safe bet that that truck won't see anything more extreme than a speed bump.

It is his truck and he is free to do with it what he pleases. We are free to look upon it with disdain and call him a ******* for seriously reducing the capabilities of a Raptor in pursuit of trailer park greatness.
I can agree with you on this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FDHog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing like making an already wide truck even wider. Personally, I hate the look.
Had to look hard to find 17X8.5 wheels I liked with +18 offset.