The Fuel Additive Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Huh? You old people and your weird lingo...:baby:

Is TBI the Throttle Body Injection?

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay, here's a little history lesson. The transition technology between carburetors and multipoint fuel injection was throttle body injection (TBI). Basically all it did was replace a carburetor with a thing that looked a lot like a carb but had electronically controlled injectors in it. Airflow came in, went through a butterfly valve just like a carburetor, and then there were a couple of injectors in the airstream. Mixing of fuel and air occurred inside the throttle body and also in the intake manifold.

Now we have multipoint injection with one (sometimes two in high performance installations) injector per cylinder, and usuallly very close to the intake valve. So the mixing of fuel and air occurs much further downstream than in curburetor and TBI installations.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Okay, here's a little history lesson. The transition technology between carburetors and multipoint fuel injection was throttle body injection (TBI). Basically all it did was replace a carburetor with a thing that looked a lot like a carb but had electronically controlled injectors in it. Airflow came in, went through a butterfly valve just like a carburetor, and then there were a couple of injectors in the airstream. Mixing of fuel and air occurred inside the throttle body and also in the intake manifold.

Now we have multipoint injection with one (sometimes two in high performance installations) injector per cylinder, and usuallly very close to the intake valve. So the mixing of fuel and air occurs much further downstream than in curburetor and TBI installations.

and to take that description one step further, thats where direction injection takes it even further.

TBI = injected at the throttel body
Multiport = injected just before the heads
Direct Injection = injected directly into the combustion chamber

OP
OP
Ruger

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
At one time Techron was the industry benchmark, and all vehicle manufacturers put Chevron with Techron in the tanks when they turned the vehicles over to the government for mileage and emission tests. That's been some years, though.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Ummm... quite a few cars had versions of the Bosch K-Jetronic and L-Jetronic which were both multipoint electronic fuel injection systems that injected fuel right at the valves back in the early 1970's...

In fact, GM was selling multipoint FI cars (mechanical injectors) back in the late 50's and 60's. (Multipoint FI was an option on the Corvettes for one)

TBI was a later development. I think the first mass production TBI was made by GM in the late 70's or early 80's... it was purely a cost saving system needing only one or two injectors instead of one injector for each cylinder.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Until how many miles would it be necessary or best to start using these? I know Reptar said he does it once a year but when should I start using it? I only run Shell and QuikTrip in my truck, but I use some for the other cars.