Let’s see the recovery / chase set up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptupp

Reaction score
Hey folks.
looking to start gearing up my truck for Baja. Interested on how You configured :
1) spare tire. Single or double? Leaning towards single as I don’t do baja often and garage space is limited.
I’m assuming most don’t go wheeling with spare tire mounted under truck as getting to it when stuck is not happening.
2) DIY d-rings with straps or pre fabed mounts for tires, fuel, jack, co2 canister? I do like the idea of a removable system as i might do Baja once a year only.. Foutz Motorsport has one but they are big bank.

Gear I will need to configure- 35 tire, 10 gal co2 tank, 2 ton jack, 2 5 gal fuel canisters, ice chest, gear/ tools container.

Thanks for the tips in advance. Please post pics if your able too.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
A number of threads on the topic.

2 spares are 1, and 1 is none. Real easy to pick up a stick through a sidewall off road. And way out in the middle of nowhere is not the time to skimp on supplies. Remember when you are building you off road supplies you plan not for what will happen, but what can happen. Over prepare. The supplies you carry might not just be used by you.

I had gone out on the BDR trail from Ellensburg to Cashmere. A guy with his 2 kids was stuck in the middle of the trail. Flat tire with no tools. Him not being prepared put a stop in our fun. Had to use my tools to fix his truck.

I carry 2 spares. CO2. Straps, kentic rope and shackles. Hand tools and impacts. Shovel, sledgehammer and axe. Recovery boards. Offroad jack. Water, MREs, 550 cord and shelter. Trash bags, spare socks, rain gear. Truck mounted UHF and a Baofeng handheld. I have 1 Roam box, Pelican case and duffle bag for ropes. Stopped carrying chain until I pick up a come a long.

ToadSmasher2K1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A number of threads on the topic.

2 spares are 1, and 1 is none. Real easy to pick up a stick through a sidewall off road. And way out in the middle of nowhere is not the time to skimp on supplies. Remember when you are building you off road supplies you plan not for what will happen, but what can happen. Over prepare. The supplies you carry might not just be used by you.

I had gone out on the BDR trail from Ellensburg to Cashmere. A guy with his 2 kids was stuck in the middle of the trail. Flat tire with no tools. Him not being prepared put a stop in our fun. Had to use my tools to fix his truck.

I carry 2 spares. CO2. Straps, kentic rope and shackles. Hand tools and impacts. Shovel, sledgehammer and axe. Recovery boards. Offroad jack. Water, MREs, 550 cord and shelter. Trash bags, spare socks, rain gear. Truck mounted UHF and a Baofeng handheld. I have 1 Roam box, Pelican case and duffle bag for ropes. Stopped carrying chain until I pick up a come a long.
Spare socks but no spare underwear?

Bozz

Royal Smart A$$
Reaction score
Agree Rob. Garage space is tight For me though. How many of you here have multiple flats in Baja type country in the span of a 4 day trip?
Figure on average 0.6 per day x 4 days....... 2 spares MIGHT make it. I would have 3 if I could.

8250_RPM

Reaction score
For those of you who have a bypass rack with dual tire setup and no spare underneath, how much has the rear dropped? Did you replace the springs to get back to stock height?