The Fuel Additive Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Under Maintenance and Specifications on page 394 of the 2011 Owners Manual it says, "Do not add aftermarket fuel additive products to your fuel tank. It should not be necessary to add any aftermarket products to your fuel tank if you continue to use high quality fuell of the recommended octane rating. These products hav not been approved for your engine and could cause damage to the fuel system. Repairs to correct the effects of using an aftermarket product in your fuel may not be covered in your warranty."

This is a very broad and unqualified warning, and due to the wording must apply to fuel injector cleaners, fuel system treatments, etc. Does anyone know WHY Ford warns against using these products???

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They most likely don't want you to put crap in your tank. Not all fuel additives are equal, so they just automatically rule them all out (I assume).

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
Ford does have its own fuel system cleaner they approve of. I have never tried it but rarely will Ford support an aftermarket brand for anything.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
sometimes people get suckered into pouring snake oil in their tank, and Ford just wants to cover their azzes by saying don't do it, just run quality fuel, to avoid people coming in about clogged injectors and whatever other issues, so people can't say "well you didn't tell me not to pour honey in my tank, I read online it lubricates the injectors and improve fuel mileage". Ford doesn't want you putting different crap in the tank and having it come back on them because they didn't tell you not to. They want you to come into them to diagnose an issue rather than pour magic juice in your tank on your own.

All that said, I rarely ever put any additives in my tank. On occasion I'll run a bottle of lucas fuel injector cleaner through, but that is it. When I was a manager at advance auto that was probably the most commonly sold product, it flew off the shelves. I've used it before on my '85 with TBI and it does really work. I had a slow/clogged injector. You could pull the air filter off and see the TBI with the twin injectors and 1 of them pumping slow/splotchy. 1 tank with lucas and it was working perfect again. I only use it maybe once a year if that, definitely not every tank.