the bottom perch is better because...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DieselD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also forgot to mention I'm getting a noise over bumps now after the mid adjustment. It was not there on the stock location and there after so it's related. I have not tracked it down yet but nothing obvious. Yes before someone asks i double and triple checked my work. I did not remove the shocks at all to do the adjustment. It was completely doable with them on the truck still. I set the toe afterwards which was about 1/2" toed out after the adjustment

The adjustment does affect travel somewhat, it changes the position the shock is riding in that travel. Essentially you are loosing about 1.5" of down travel so while you might not Bottom out on the compression side as fast your going to bottom out the extension sooner.

I do wish there was proof of said design and testing for the middle setting instead of just hear-say. If this was the case and they lowered it I would like to know about valving changes as I would be willing to bet this got changed too to match the lower position.

For me I am going back to stock for both offroad and onroad performance. I will revisit suspension when it's time to step up to big boy parts. Until then I will use it as intended.

TEXAS MOTORWORX

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The bottom perch is better because you are more likely to dent your stock skid plate, which means you will need one of our TMX Skid Plates. :waytogo:

CAbimmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my truck from the TMX guys. (Great service by the way) Not sure what all the fuss is about, the middle perch ride seams great, there is less nose dive with braking. Truck looks great and still fits in the garage.

Last edited:

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Mid is where its at. I'm actually considering going top just for fun when I go home. I personally thought there was a huge difference between bottom and mid.

The benefit of bottom perch though? It makes my Raptor look more badass when its parked next to your lower riding Raptor! :laughing1:

DieselD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well add me to the short list of guys that where not happy with the mid perch setup, I lowered mine back down last night and man what a difference in handling characteristics. Driving the same "test" loop I did with the mid perch setting to compare I was able to get a feel for both setups. IMO the stock location performs better then the mid. Stability is better, no weird transfer of weight from front to rear, alot more plush over bumps and can actually go faster, and the harsh rebounding is gone. Yeah its lower which kinda sucks but Im much happier with the ride there then on the mid.

Also found my noise and however unrelated to the shock adjustment it was 100% more pronounced with the mid perch setting which tells you how much stiffer the ride ended up being.

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
my idiot question for today: just how do you change the perch setting on the raptor? can't seem to find anything on youtube or anywhere about it.

edit: found it right here on the forums of course: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f9/how-adjust-fox-shock-perch-height-level-front-6969/

hmmm. definately not a do in the backyard type deal.... :-(

Where are you located? There are a number of skilled forum members and shops that can easily do it for a few hundred dollars. Those who have had the shocks removed and adjusted to mid perch then re-installed have not reported any funny noises (unlike DD above). I had no issues and the ride improved esp offroad imo (before I went with current 3.0 setup)