The 2017 Eco-Boost vs V8 Bench Racing / Whining thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ecoboost engine torture test, motor 448AA.

This is actually pretty damn impressive. Its the torture test of the original ecoboost from 2012. Im going to assume the new Ecoboost going into the Raptor will be even better. If everything said is true in this video I hardly doubt any Raptor owner will stress their trucks this hard in its lifetime.

It is pretty cool to see some of that behind the scenes stuff.

freedommotorsports.us

Phone: 260-444-7503
Email: [email protected]

FreedomLogo.jpg

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The actual time it takes to shift is good, but in all the ones I've driven the time from input of a demand for a shift to shift completion was appalling

Acting like dual clutch transmissions are god's gift to fast shifting is a surefire way to make me doubt your automotive knowledge, standard automatic transmissions are capable of instantaneous shifts just like dual clutch transmissions, the only reason they're slightly slower right now is because they have many more clutches, and the more clutches a transmission has the more lag has to be built into it for variations in clutch engagement rates to ensure multi-gear engagement doesn't happen (if you didn't know, if any kind of transmission ever engaged two or more gears at once, it would instantly lock up, preventing any movement at all, which, while moving, would result in your transmission barfing it's guts all over the road)

Yeah there's a big difference between actual shift time and shift response. Most autos can shift plenty quick, but very few (if any) can really respond quickly to user input. Corvette has been notorious lately for claiming "faster shifts than PDK" but in reality you pull the lever, it thinks about it, and then finally it executes a pretty quick automatic shift. The shift itself is quick but response to the driver's input is shit.

There are some better and worse dual clutch systems (worse being most anything in an econobox, also early generation PDK comes to mind), but the latest boxes such as those offered by Getrag, Graziano et al are really as good as it gets... instantaneous, crisp upshifts and downshifts.

39Mustang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to say from owning a 2015 SRT Challenger with the 8 speed, the programming is fantastic. Manual mode always (ALWAYS) responds to my input. With 160ms shift times, it is blazing fast (That's in the realm of dual clutch speeds!!).

I'm not sure what 8-speed challenger you drove, but it must of been broken.

I agree, I wish I had that ZF 8spd automatic in my Shelby over the 5spd auto

ReglarGuy

Reaction score
Broken Heated

I know what all of you are going to ask. Why ReglarGuy, is your heart broken? The reason (my fellow Raptor friends) is because, I think Ford is in the process of making a major ***** with regards to the new Raptor coming out. And, when Ford finally does come out with the new Raptor, I won't be able to get it due to it having a self imposed Ford generated *****.

Again, I know what you all are going to ask. Why in the world is the new Raptor going to be such a big ol' *****? Well, let me tell you why. The reason is...because, of that stupid 6 cylinder Eco-Beast engine Ford plans on using in the new Raptor.

Yes, I know it's going to be all tricked out, but, if I'm going to pay the 60+ thousands of dollars for the mother (censored by: Mothers for forum decency), I better have a big eight. I don't want a tricked out 6 cylinder engine that I have to put 93 octain gas in...and, I don't want a 6 cylinder in a truck of that size.

Right now, I have my 2010 extended cab, 8 cylinder 6.2L engine ( I just love my truck) that I can run regular gas in it when ever I want. My truck has everthing I need/want in it plus, I get better gas mileage than I ever got with my 2004 4.0, 6 cylinder Ranger. All-in-all, my 2010 Raptor is the best truck I've ever owned. AND...AND, I can put anything I want in my Raptors' gas tank, and my truck will go like a bat out of Bulger, Pa. In fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear that my Raptors' 6.2 engine could run on Kool-aide...that's how well that Ford 6.2 engine is mated to my truck.

I don't think that will be the case with this new Eco-Beast Ford engine Ford's putting in their 2016 Raptors. If it follows the same suit as all the other 6 cylinder twin turbo engines out there...93 octain will be a must. So, for me not wanting to be forced into having to use 93 octain gas; and for me wanting (in that size of truck) a big V8 instead of a a politicaly correct, tricked out, 6 cylinder non Raptor vaginal engine (that, doesn't get that much better gas mileage than Chevys' new V8's)...I just don't see me getting a new Raptor when they come out. And, that my friends is why my poor little heart is broken.

In closing, I hope you guys will over look some of my ReglarGuy expressions. I just couldn't help myself due to being very, very disappointed with Fords' Raptor engine choice, and I wish you all the best of luck with your future Raptor purchases.

Last edited:

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I said ***** in front of my wife and my 16 year old daughter, and my wife said I'd better watch my mouth!!! lol

I know what you mean regarding the V8, but it is inevitable that all manufacturers will be going in this direction. I bet the only things we see V8's in will be ultra-high-end sports cars like Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc.

I'm sure the new truck will be tested to death, but it will have it's issues. I feel Ford will get a lot of the kinks worked out prior to production, but someone will take it out and tear it up causing them to rethink some things.

But, in the end, I think we have the last remaining production V8 Raptors which will make us all appreciate what we have a little more in the future. I know I am rethinking some moves I was making to insure my truck lasts a long time!!!