GEN 2 Tapping sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Still having the issue...still frustrated...

I had looked at by indy....could hear it from inside passenger side..when brake torqing..barely.. touching gas pedal...in drive or reverse.. As this is the best way i found in reproducing the noise.

Took to another ford dealership as i explained the situation. Got loaner and 3 days later they call and tell me to come back to drive with transmission tech...i show up and ford told me transmission tech too busy and to take it back to other ford dealership who removed and replace the torque converter...i simply cant get any luck at ford to fix my truck. All can hear it...but cant isolate to fix..

Anyone else with this issue get resolution?
Thanks
Just a thought. You might have someone you trust, get in the truck, set the parking brake and repeat the gas pedal thing while it's in gear and watch the tranny and see if it's moving around and maybe contacting the exhaust, or maybe the exhaust is contacting something.
I would be checking anything that had to be removed in order to replace the torque converter. If the tranny has an inspection plate, you could pull it off try and see if any of the torque converter bolts have backed out. Mark them with a sharpy and hit the starter to spin the motor, mark another one, and so on. My next stop would be a transmission shop and see if they will do a ride along to rule that out.

See if you can post a video.

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about taking mine in. Whatever it is, it seems to be non-destructive.. at least so far.

I’m gonna record mine and see how many taps per second it is. The engine is idling at ~600RPM which is 10 rotations per second. If it’s close to that, this would imply an output shaft or something on the engine-side of the tranny. If it’s slower (which it sounds like 4-6 taps per second to me), then this could be the latter part of the tranny or some accessory drive (though I don’t understand why that would tap only while in drive). I won’t have a chance to look until next weekend but will keep you posted with what I find. Also, I think mine was more pronounced in 4WD low.

I just got back from Raptor Assault and none of those trucks did it.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m having the same issue with my 2020 raptor it started around 7300 miles has anyone found a fix took it to 2 Ford dealers with no luck

My 2019 did it and now my 2020 does it with probably 6k on it. I’m just gonna assume it’s fine and not worry about it.

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are most likely hearing the high pressure fuel pump. It’s a normal characteristic of the engine.

The sound is only heard when shifted into drive at a stop. If I shift to neutral, it goes away. Would the high pressure fuel pump have those symptoms?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The sound is only heard when shifted into drive at a stop. If I shift to neutral, it goes away. Would the high pressure fuel pump have those symptoms?

When you put it in drive there is more load on the engine, so the PCM may ramp up fuel pressure, which can make the pump more audible.

Is this a noise you can hear inside the cab with the windows up, or only from outside?

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you put it in drive there is more load on the engine, so the PCM may ramp up fuel pressure, which can make the pump more audible.

Is this a noise you can hear inside the cab with the windows up, or only from outside?

I think you can only hear it inside since the noises of the engine from outside make it harder to hear. It’s a knocking/thumping sound. Goes away if you let off the brakes and roll forward. I’ve been trying to count knocks per minute which could help determine what it is.

I’ll try and get video tomorrow

dannycova

Reaction score
Just wondering, was anyone able to get an answer or a solution on this problem. I have the same issue, truck is at the shop and techs have not been able to figure it out. Any help, thanks.

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, was anyone able to get an answer or a solution on this problem. I have the same issue, truck is at the shop and techs have not been able to figure it out. Any help, thanks.

No luck. My 2019 and 2020 do it. Only while in gear at a stop. Think it might be worst in 4WD low. Nothing in neutral or reverse.

can the tech’s hear it?