GEN 2 Tapping sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

impinth06

Reaction score
My truck is having the Exact same issue now after 11k miles. OP did you get it fixed? Did they know the cause?

Thank you

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Set parking brake and put it in gear, jump out and have a listen on the outside to narrow it down.

Torque converter bolt? Someone trapped in the toolbox?

GR8Ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is what’s going on with my 2019. The 1st time I heard it I was at a stop light and thought it was the faint sound of someone’s sub pounding close by till I looked around and no one was around.

HAPPILY EVER RAPTOR

chm612s

Reaction score
Thanks for response...

Only heard from inside..passenger side..belt tapping noise...under drive or reverse load..when stopped..ford removed and replaced torque converter..due to vibration in drive shaft and bell housing..still occuring..dont matter if in 2wd or 4wd..air on or off..freaking driving me crazy..been to 3 different ford dealerships..all hear it..cant isolate to fix.. In addition..had 5 ford customer care incidents open..love the 2017 ford raptor but not the noise...

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Thanks for response...

Only heard from inside..passenger side..belt tapping noise...under drive or reverse load..when stopped..ford removed and replaced torque converter..due to vibration in drive shaft and bell housing..still occuring..dont matter if in 2wd or 4wd..air on or off..freaking driving me crazy..been to 3 different ford dealerships..all hear it..cant isolate to fix.. In addition..had 5 ford customer care incidents open..love the 2017 ford raptor but not the noise...

Take it to a real mechanic, not dealer, and have them listen and have a look. Pay a few bucks to get it diagnosed, then back to the dealer. Where are you located?

TurboTJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello. Just seeing if get lucky and anyone has idea what this tapping sound could be. New 2018 Raptor. 900 miles on it. When it’s in drive or reverse and not moving (brake on and not moving) I hear a tapping noise. Here are the notes on it. Only does it after engine warmed up. So when I first turn on engine in morning and put in drive it doesn’t make sound. Sat there for three minutes with brake on first thing in morning and in drive and no sound. Drive 10 to 20 miles and warm it up and then come to stop and have brake on then I hear the tapping. Sounds like it’s more on passenger side of engine. When I come to complete stop after driving it doesn’t do the sound immediately. Maybe 3 to 5 seconds before it starts. Sounds like it may speed up as I take foot off brake and start moving but then it either disappears once get moving or engine drowns out. I would say it disappears because when I come to stop again it isn’t making sound until I’ve been stopped the 3 to 5 seconds. Ford dealer asked engineers and they haven’t heard reports of it so they had no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the exact same noise and symptoms. Only when in gear. Noticed it while four wheeling a week or so ago. Sounds like something is literally contacting something else.

Did you ever figure yours out?

chm612s

Reaction score
I am still having the issue and looking for help/support.

Waiting for mechanic friend to become available and will take a look at engine and transmission mounts under load..in forward and reverse..as the 4 ford dealerships i have taken to..all hear the noise but cant isolate to fix... Very frustrating situation

chm612s

Reaction score
Still having the issue...still frustrated...

I had looked at by indy....could hear it from inside passenger side..when brake torqing..barely.. touching gas pedal...in drive or reverse.. As this is the best way i found in reproducing the noise.

Took to another ford dealership as i explained the situation. Got loaner and 3 days later they call and tell me to come back to drive with transmission tech...i show up and ford told me transmission tech too busy and to take it back to other ford dealership who removed and replace the torque converter...i simply cant get any luck at ford to fix my truck. All can hear it...but cant isolate to fix..

Anyone else with this issue get resolution?
Thanks