GEN 2 Tapping sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StueyMinion

Reaction score
Hello. Just seeing if get lucky and anyone has idea what this tapping sound could be. New 2018 Raptor. 900 miles on it. When it’s in drive or reverse and not moving (brake on and not moving) I hear a tapping noise. Here are the notes on it. Only does it after engine warmed up. So when I first turn on engine in morning and put in drive it doesn’t make sound. Sat there for three minutes with brake on first thing in morning and in drive and no sound. Drive 10 to 20 miles and warm it up and then come to stop and have brake on then I hear the tapping. Sounds like it’s more on passenger side of engine. When I come to complete stop after driving it doesn’t do the sound immediately. Maybe 3 to 5 seconds before it starts. Sounds like it may speed up as I take foot off brake and start moving but then it either disappears once get moving or engine drowns out. I would say it disappears because when I come to stop again it isn’t making sound until I’ve been stopped the 3 to 5 seconds. Ford dealer asked engineers and they haven’t heard reports of it so they had no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

StueyMinion

Reaction score
I’ll give it a try. I did have truck at dealer and had tech inside it when it was making the noise. That’s when they wanted to talk to engineers to see if they had heard of this before.

4XXFORE_SOCAL

Reaction score
I’ll give it a try. I did have truck at dealer and had tech inside it when it was making the noise. That’s when they wanted to talk to engineers to see if they had heard of this before.

Good luck with this! There’s no reason Ford won’t take care of it given how new the vehicle is...

OP
OP
S

StueyMinion

Reaction score
Any guesses on what it might be? One would think transmission since only does it in drive or reverse. The moment you shift to park or neutral it goes away. But it’s confusing why it has to be warmed up before it does it? Could there be something else that is triggered when put in drive or reverse that is not related to transmission? Brakes? Actuator?

4XXFORE_SOCAL

Reaction score
I’d be guessing only... could be something as small as a loose bolt to maybe a valve related issue. I think you should defer to the engineering experts to diagnose... if you’re in so cal, I could refer you to few local guys.

Maybe give RPG off road or your local shop to see if they can help troubleshoot.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
If you see some Service comments here, you will see Ford service doesn't really do well fixing problems.
Just need to find the right service center. Gosch Frod in Hemet has always done me right for the past 20yrs.

OP
OP
S

StueyMinion

Reaction score
In Denver CO. Any suggestions for shop if I wanted to run by them to see if they have come across this before?