Tail Gate Broke...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JB 01

Reaction score
Hey guys - looking to see if this is a common issue. Opened the tail gate this morning and was left with one side of it swinging freely supported only by the cable. The bracket attaches to the bed and holds the pin from the tail gate is missing a sizable chunk. Thanks for the input.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well since you purchased new and are still under warranty, i would go visit the dealer. im guessing you havent loaded anything heavy on it? signs of physical damage?

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Are you talking about the one side that's different so you can take the tailgate off? Kind of a rectangular shape instead of round? Over the years I've had mine come apart on that side if I closed it and something was jammed between the bed and tailgate.

FDHog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tailgates are expensive and therefore valuable.
Do you part it outside or in a garage?

What does that have to do with it? Theft????
Tailgate locks so it's not like someone tried to steal it like they used to do.
Sure it's not the removal slot? It might have accidentally come off the hinge.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What does that have to do with it? Theft????
Tailgate locks so it's not like someone tried to steal it like they used to do.
Sure it's not the removal slot? It might have accidentally come off the hinge.

Tailgates have been stolen and reported here on FRF. I was just thinking that an attempted theft would explain what the OP found. If he parks it a garage or other secure area, then probably not. But if he parks it in the driveway or on the street because he lives in an apartment or can't get it into his garage, then attempted theft is a possibility because the tailgate lock (mostly plastic) is easily defeated.