GEN 1 Tail Lights Keep Failing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yoopercharged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been dealing with a lingering tail light issue. Had a driver's side bulb randomly go a couple months ago and didn't think much about it. Decided to replace all 4 of the tail light bulbs while I was at it since its an 8 year old truck. A week or two later, both of the driver's side bulbs were out. Pulled the light off and noticed that both bulbs had actually blown out of the sockets... Weird. Last week, one of the filaments burned up on a driver's side bulb and this morning I got hyperflash on the way to work and noticed that a passenger side filament had gone this time.

Any suggestions? I'm at a loss and not well versed in electrical so any advice is appreciated.

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
hmm, right bulb your problem is a weird one for sure! Somethings not right to have that many bulbs burning out and I've never heard of bulbs ejecting from the sockets. Have you done anything new recently to your truck?

OP
OP
yoopercharged

yoopercharged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm, right bulb your problem is a weird one for sure! Somethings not right to have that many bulbs burning out and I've never heard of bulbs ejecting from the sockets. Have you done anything new recently to your truck?
I did install some XL80s and a GJ reverse light within the last month, but these issues started before that. I do have LED sequential turn signals on the mirrors that were installed a few months before these issues began. I believe those are on a different circuit though so I don't think they would have any affect.

I should also note that the tail light sockets appear to be discolored, almost a light char, around where the bulb plugs in. Not sure if this would be considered normal or not.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What do the sockets look like? The last time I changed rear bulbs on my Raptor I thought the sockets looked burnt, brake lights create a tremendus amount oh heat so I thought that at some point in the future I would need to replace the sockets or rear wire harness to the tails. I will be addressing this soon as I have another turn/brake element out at 170k and the failures seem to happen at normal intervals for incadesant bulbs.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the sockets will turn brown. its normal. however for you to keep burning through bulbs means theres got to be a short somewhere. the rear lights are also a turn signal, so the led turn signals might have a fault causing an issue.

mprice1234

Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
I did install some XL80s and a GJ reverse light within the last month, but these issues started before that. I do have LED sequential turn signals on the mirrors that were installed a few months before these issues began. I believe those are on a different circuit though so I don't think they would have any affect.

I should also note that the tail light sockets appear to be discolored, almost a light char, around where the bulb plugs in. Not sure if this would be considered normal or not.
I'm also running the sequential turns on the mirrors and I have not had any issues so I don't think those are related. If the sockets are burned enough and or the bulds are loose in the sockets I would start there.