Sudden loss of power auto shifting from 1st to 2nd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This has only happened a couple of times recently but still weird. Today I was sitting at a light and gradually applied the gas in first gear. It was normal acceleration, not too hard but also not out of the norm slow. When the truck shifted from first to second I could feel the pedal had less tension in it and the truck was no longer accelerating but instead slowing down in a coast similar to when you left off the gas. It didn’t last more than 2-3 seconds before the engine kicked back in and the truck started to accelerate again.

I’m wondering what the possible cause for this could be? Truck has 18,500 miles on it and only “mod” is a K&N drop in filter. Think maybe a faulty transmission sensor or the TCU having issues? Any ideas? Don’t want to bring it into the dealer if I can’t replicate it and it’s only happened a couple of times so far.

**other posts mention traction control kicking in but that’s not the case here I’m certain of it. I was under pretty light acceleration in a straight line. Just throwing that out there before that gets suggested**

Last edited:

Chuckaroo91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this issue before where it feels like its hunting for the gear. Pulled out from side street, massive hesitation from the truck then started going again after 2-3 seconds. Local dealership said they updated some software that should fix the issue when I brought it in. Maybe worth calling and seeing if they can take a look. Alternatively could do the AP and a TCM tune :)

OP
OP
relak

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Won’t be doing a tune until it’s out of warranty. Had too many issues with Ford to risk it. Any idea what software was updated when they did yours?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The accelerator pedal isn’t actually connected to anything; the feel cannot change. It just has an internal spring for pedal feel/return.

As far as the delayed shift, there may be an updated calibration available to resolve it. The service bulletin doesn’t call out specific build dates or concerns, but has the dealer check for updates with the scan tool.

Aleja_333

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every week I commit to going all-in with the Cobb Stage 2 package and Goosetune, and then I read posts like these and start to hesitate. I want to tune the truck so bad but I hate to be the one on the side of the road with random issues like these one. I agree there are too many of these to risk voiding the warranty.

This is why sometimes I want to entertain the idea of buying an R, but I don't really want 8 mile to the gallon.

Chuckaroo91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like its a computer / software related issue vs a hardware issue based on this other thread.

I pulled the trigger on a Cobb AP and will be adding Goose Stg. 1 and TCM tune.

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i had a engine light come on , had low lower, like barely could pass a car on the highway. turned it off and restarted it.... all fine. wth

MORaptor1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every week I commit to going all-in with the Cobb Stage 2 package and Goosetune, and then I read posts like these and start to hesitate. I want to tune the truck so bad but I hate to be the one on the side of the road with random issues like these one. I agree there are too many of these to risk voiding the warranty.

This is why sometimes I want to entertain the idea of buying an R, but I don't really want 8 mile to the gallon.
LOL! So you will drop 150k+ on a F150 and then complain about filling it up? Thats new.

Aleja_333

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL! So you will drop 150k+ on a F150 and then complain about filling it up? Thats new.

1. I wouldn't buy an R for $150k.
2. Since when the price of a car became correlated to better or worse mpg? As your comment suggests.
3. I'm not complaining about filling up, I just don't want 8 miles to the gallon.

It's very simple, I want more power but not half of the mpg that I get now. That's what I would get if I tune my current truck. Yes I want my cake and eat it too.

OP
OP
relak

relak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The accelerator pedal isn’t actually connected to anything; the feel cannot change. It just has an internal spring for pedal feel/return.

As far as the delayed shift, there may be an updated calibration available to resolve it. The service bulletin doesn’t call out specific build dates or concerns, but has the dealer check for updates with the scan tool.
Yeah it just feels like a delayed reaction getting it into second gear and accelerating again. I’ll scan it this weekend and see if it’s throwing any codes and call my dealer on Monday to see if there’s any updates.