Stuck in First Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Deinonychus

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A definite transmission event tonight:

Driving from a stop light. Took off with a little hesitation, jumped to second gear, then back to first. Then it shifted to third... "wrench" showed on dash for a short while.

The odometer changed to dashes (no numbers), speedometer went to zero. Truck shifted up to 5th gear. From this point on the only gears available were third, fourth, and fifth. (auto-stick did not function.got no response.) Took the interstate home.

Pulled into the driveway. Turned the truck off. Then turned it back on. The odometer came back on. Everything appeared normal, but did not drive it to check for shifting.

Plan to take it to the dealer tomorrow. Will update...

Macman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Odd, sounds like the issue someone else posted about, he mentioned the dealer said it was the PCM. Good luck with it!

OP
OP
Deinonychus

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Alternator?

Everything was functioning normal (driving about 7 miles home at night - lights worked) except:
  1. Speedometer - reading zero
  2. Odometer - no numbers, only dashes
  3. Fuel Economy Display - no number, only dashes
  4. Working gears - 3rd, 4th, and 5th

I took it to the dealer this morning. They will begin work Monday morning.

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
I had a wrench on the way to the beach. I didnt have all that though! Hope you get it sorted out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

RaptorBri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a similar problem I had on my 2013 after 1000 km. turned out the wire harness for the transmission was not in its clip properly and fell against the exhaust manifold. This of course caused all kinds of goofy dash activity like you are describing and random shifting! Finally went into limp mode and stayed in 3rd gear. Dealer ship replaced the harness and everything has been good since. Now have 25000km on it.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
Everything was functioning normal (driving about 7 miles home at night - lights worked) except:
  1. Speedometer - reading zero
  2. Odometer - no numbers, only dashes
  3. Fuel Economy Display - no number, only dashes
  4. Working gears - 3rd, 4th, and 5th

I took it to the dealer this morning. They will begin work Monday morning.
I realize that sounded far fetched but there was someone (whtrapta?) Who had all kinds of crazy stuff like that happening and it turned out to be his alternator dropping voltage and wigging out the electronics

OP
OP
Deinonychus

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The "junior" transmission tech took a look at my Raptor, said it was more than he could handle. Their senior transmission tech will be in tomorrow to take a look see.

I gave the service manager a copy of your comments. Hopefully, they'll check out your ideas. He seemed happy to get the ideas.

Dealer was nice enough to get me a rental car from Enterprise. I was lucky enough to get a fairly pricey rental: 2012 or 13 Infinity G37 four door sedan with 21,000 miles on odometer. It does have quite a bit of pickup, but you have to put your foot into it to get good acceleration.

I'll keep you updated...

OP
OP
Deinonychus

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Transmission problem solved.
I'm going to start a new thread that will have the full explanation and will easy to search for if anyone has the same problem, since "stuck in first gear" isn't how the problem ultimately manifests itself.

The thread will be called "Transmission Problem - Solved"