Stuck in First Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious if anybody has had any issue with their Gen 3 truck getting stuck in first gear? I have had this happen to me a few times randomly. Truck is in auto and have noticed it after I have turned from a stop. Honestly not sure if I accidentally hit one of the shifters or not. Truck has always been in Auto 2H or 4A and always in Normal driving mode. First time this happened I thought maybe I hit the manual shift button and that was not the case. The few times this happened I usually just hit + shifter to get it to the gear where it should be and after that auto takes back over.
I have to drop my truck off at the dealer today to get the TSB on my muffler looked at so I will ask them if they know of anything.

Last edited:

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Curious if anybody has had any issue with their Gen 3 truck getting stuck in first gear? I have had this happen to me a few times randomly. Truck is in auto and have noticed it after I have turned from a stop. Honestly not sure if I accidentally hit one of the shifters or not. Truck has always been in Auto 2H or 4A and always in Normal driving mode. First time this happened I thought maybe I hit the manual shift button and that was not the case. The few times this happened I usually just hit + shifter to get it to the gear where it should be and after that auto takes back over.
I have to drop my truck off at the dealer today to get the TSB on my muffler looked at so I will ask them if they know of anything.
Mine would do this at times... i just had the transmission replaced will see if it does it still... Seriously done with the 10R80 and Ford and just going Goosetuned.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you press the select shift (-) it will progressively lock out gears, right down to 1st. Common occurrence when people rest their hand on the shift buttons.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I like my warranty too much for this but certainly a viable option for you & like-minded folks.
Yeah thats my "big fear" but Im over a 90k truck shifting like crap. If this new trans goes the way of the other its happening.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah thats my "big fear" but Im over a 90k truck shifting like crap. If this new trans goes the way of the other its happening.
Most dealers won’t take the time to perform the adaptive learning drive cycle after a repair, which is an important step in recalibrating the transmission. If you have ForScan, you should be able to clear the adaptive tables and complete the procedure.

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most dealers won’t take the time to perform the adaptive learning drive cycle after a repair, which is an important step in recalibrating the transmission. If you have ForScan, you should be able to clear the adaptive tables and complete the procedure.
Thanks very much for your input Sir. I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and order ForScan. Seems like it will just make life much easier.