Stuck in First Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I own a 2011 Raptor.
Today after driving about 3 miles, after leaving a stop light the Raptor failed to shift out of first gear. I pulled to the side of the road, but didn't turn off the motor. Pushed the tow/haul button on and then off (I can't believe that did anything, but maybe). The Raptor shifted normally to get me another mile and then the 4 miles back home.

Recently I have noticed occasionally shifting strangely (sort of hunting) between 2nd and 3rd gear, but nothing too noticeably.

Any thoughts.
Thank you.

OP
OP
Deinonychus

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
See if it happens in manual mode as well next time

I'll definitely keep that in mind.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Trans range selector may be going out

Is this a somewhat common problem?
Is it related to mileage or age?

I'm at about 20,000 miles

Baddkarmaracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen it lately but on 04-08 trucks I used to see it a lot. Happened to me @ 80 mph in my 04 truck went to 1st gear. Talk about an abrupt stop

banman12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is my .02 cents: I know on my 13, while in regular "Drive" mode you can use the + and - gear select button and can basically lock your trans into specific gears. For example, you can hit - three times and then the truck will only shift through gears 1-3. You could also go all the way down and then the truck will not shift past 1st gear. If this was the case, you would see on the dash the number 1 only to the right of the display screen. One time I accidentally had it in this mode as opposed to actual manual mode and the truck stayed in 1st gear until I hit the + buttons a few times so it would shift. Not sure if the 11 has this same feature. Just throwing it out there.

desert

Reaction score
off road mode

That happened to me once. I had accidently pushes the "off road mode" button. :shakehead: