Stock Raptor hitch is very weak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you unbolt the hitch from the Gen 2 truck and still mount the OEM bumper as normal? Or is the bumper support really the hitch too?

The center portion has five to six spot welds to the hitch itself. The ends then attach to this center portion and the plastic is set over via clips to hide bolts etc. I removed mine and ground the spot welds down when I installed my ADD bumper.

If op hitch is bent it would be a warranty fix.

I have had zero issues towing with mine and it is frame mounted same as previous gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The center portion has five to six spot welds to the hitch itself. If op hitch is bent it should be warranty fix.

I have had zero issues towing with mine and it is frame mounted same as previous gen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this. It was a rhetorical question. I'm trying to get Dewman to understand that the Gen 2 Raptor does NOT have a normal "frame mounted hitch" like every other truck. The receiver may be welded to something that bolts to the frame, yes- but you cannot unbolt the hitch from the frame and have everything else remain as normal. A normal frame mounted hitch basically doesn't fit a Gen 2 Raptor- unless you don't want a spare tire anymore.

sfadchi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2019 has a frame mounted receiver. I never looked on my 2018, but you can clearly tell it's under the bumper and not attached.

IMG_1140.jpg IMG_4977.jpg

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looking at my 2019 that has not towed yet, the ball mount receptacle does tilt down slightly and does not appear to be parallel to the ground.

dew.man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this. It was a rhetorical question. I'm trying to get Dewman to understand that the Gen 2 Raptor does NOT have a normal "frame mounted hitch" like every other truck. The receiver may be welded to something that bolts to the frame, yes- but you cannot unbolt the hitch from the frame and have everything else remain as normal. A normal frame mounted hitch basically doesn't fit a Gen 2 Raptor- unless you don't want a spare tire anymore.

Where exactly did I say that the stock hitch could be removed or that an aftermarket hitch could be mounted? And why the heck would you want to mount a second hitch as the truck is not rated to tow anything beyond what the factory hitch gives you!? Yes, the OP may indeed have a defect, but this thread is very misleading as it's labeled "Stock Raptor hitch is very weak", states that the "stock hitch is just weak" and is followed by a bunch of baseless whining like "quality took a turn for the worse with the gen2", "pretty spooky for only 5,000 pounds", "2nd gen has a bumper mount with a hitch built in", and "garbage OE hitch".

My gen2 has a frame mounted hitch, just like my gen1 did. I towed the same #6k boat, and now a #7k+ TT with a weight distributing hitch, for several thousand miles with ZERO issues.

I stand firm by my post in that, as you can see in the photos above, the gen2 Raptor DOES indeed have a real hitch, rated to 11,000 lbs, and bolted (ie mounted) to the frame.

On a separate note, I'm very disappointing to see all the trolling and misinformation that seems to be polluting this forum that, back in the day, used to be a great resource to the community....

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where exactly did I say that the stock hitch could be removed or that an aftermarket hitch could be mounted? And why the heck would you want to mount a second hitch as the truck is not rated to tow anything beyond what the factory hitch gives you!? Yes, the OP may indeed have a defect, but this thread is very misleading as it's labeled "Stock Raptor hitch is very weak", states that the "stock hitch is just weak" and is followed by a bunch of baseless whining like "quality took a turn for the worse with the gen2", "pretty spooky for only 5,000 pounds", "2nd gen has a bumper mount with a hitch built in", and "garbage OE hitch".

I stand firm by my post in that, as you can see in the photos above, the gen2 Raptor DOES indeed have a real hitch, rated to 11,000 lbs, and bolted (ie mounted) to the frame.

On a separate note, I'm very disappointing to see all the trolling and misinformation that seems to be polluting this forum that, back in the day, used to be a great resource to the community....

If you look at the post history, most of the trolls are people who want to see a diesel in the Raptor.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where exactly did I say that the stock hitch could be removed or that an aftermarket hitch could be mounted? ..

You didn't say that, I never said you did. What you did say is this:

My gen2 has a frame mounted hitch, just like my gen1 did.

I'm saying -no, it clearly doesn't have what nearly every one would consider a "frame mounted hitch". Do you see the pictures above?

My comments about being able to remove it and still have a bumper on your truck are encourging you to think, is it REALLY a frame mounted hitch like everyone is used to? No, it's not. A Gen 1 frame mounted hitch can be unbolted and that's it- you are done. Nothing else is attached to it. That's not the case in a Gen 2 Raptor.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You didn't say that, I never said you did. What you did say is this:

I'm saying -no, it clearly doesn't have what nearly every one would consider a "frame mounted hitch". Do you see the pictures above?

My comments about being able to remove it and still have a bumper on your truck are encourging you to think, is it REALLY a frame mounted hitch like everyone is used to? No, it's not. A Gen 1 frame mounted hitch can be unbolted and that's it- you are done. Nothing else is attached to it. That's not the case in a Gen 2 Raptor.

I can't remove my engine without removing a bunch of other shit first. Guess the engine isn't mounted to the frame either.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK- whatever makes you feel smug and correct. Sure, it's totally a "frame mounted hitch"- that also happens to secure the bedside bottoms, and holds the license plate, and the bumper.

In the world of reality though- a normal truck owner would consider it an integral part of the truck that cannot be removed with leaving your bumper in the garage, nowhere to mount your license plate, and your bedsides flopping around at the bottom.

This is what I consider a frame mounted hitch. It can be added or removed from a truck as desired. The mounting of the bumper is not dependent on it being there, or not.
iu