Stock Raptor hitch is very weak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ray Knight

Reaction score
Just FYI if you plan on towing 5000# or more you might want to get a class 4 hitch. My unloaded 20x8.5 enclosed trailer with weight distribution caused my stock hitch to bend after just 50 miles. I upgraded to a class 4 unit now that mounts under the current hitch but with the class 4 hitch the spare tire cannot fit under the truck. Had to delete it. The truck towslike a beast with the class 4 and Andersen weight distribution unit. The stock hitch is just weak AF. If you plan to tow keep an eye on the hitch or upgrade it right away. Class 4 cost less than $200. The weight distribution under $500 Check out the pics! The last pic its easy to see how much the stock hitch bent compared to the class 4 below it which is level.

20190207_125910.jpg 20190206_145507.jpg 20190214_110020.jpg 20190214_105959.jpg

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow. That is garbage!! I towed a 20’ weekend warrior toy hauler with a Ducati track bike in it with my gen1, never had an issue. Seems like quality took a turn for the worse with the gen2.

Dane

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow... I regularly tow my 30' tow hauler with my Gen1 with a loaded weight (two motorcycles) coming in probably around 7,000+ pounds. No problemo after thousands of miles. That's pretty spooky for only 5,000 pounds! Glad you caught it ahead of disaster.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
There are threads on here about the downward tilt of the receiver, straight from the factory. It seem that a weight distributing hitch would bend the hitch upward since it's trying to force weight onto the front axle?

Either way, it doesn't look right. Not doubting you, just throwing it out there.

bdesim2

Reaction score
I am one of the gen 2 owners that has a downward tilting hitch from the factory. You can clearly see how much they tilt in your pic above. Sucks when trying to tow a rear rack of any type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

image98

Reaction score
I have the same weight distribution hitch and an enclosed trailer with similar dimensions. I haven't noticed any issues with the receiver on my 17 yet, but I will keep an eye on it.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
There are threads on here about the downward tilt of the receiver, straight from the factory. It seem that a weight distributing hitch would bend the hitch upward since it's trying to force weight onto the front axle?

Either way, it doesn't look right. Not doubting you, just throwing it out there.

I did bend my hitch upwards after I did a dovetail but it was my fault! We had a Raptor break down and I had to tow it 15+ miles with a strap over hills in the desert. The person I was pulling would hit the brakes to slow and it was a pretty harsh stop on my end! We were able to fix the hitch and all is good now.

As for towing a heavy trailer... I'm about 300lbs over max weight in this pic and with 5000+ miles of towing I never had a issue with the hitch bending downward :(

ROC_Fest.jpg

--

OP
OP
R

Ray Knight

Reaction score
I did bend my hitch upwards after I did a dovetail but it was my fault! We had a Raptor break down and I had to tow it 15+ miles with a strap over hills in the desert. The person I was pulling would hit the brakes to slow and it was a pretty harsh stop on my end! We were able to fix the hitch and all is good now.

As for towing a heavy trailer... I'm about 300lbs over max weight in this pic and with 5000+ miles of towing I never had a issue with the hitch bending downward :(

ROC_Fest.jpg

--
Yours is a 1st gen. If i remember right, my 1st gen had a proper hitch. My 2nd gen has a bumper mount with a hitch built in. Never had issues on my 1st gen. That said, the 2nd gen does tow fantastic aside from the garbage OE hitch.