Stock downpipe size comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only reason I can think of is because Kooks are made of stainless steel and SPD's are made of aluminized steel.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

jmrekieta

Reaction score
What cell count are the “green” kooks cats? I think the SPD’s are 400.

Which are better for performance? Is there a significant difference between the two?

I assume the green cats will pass emissions in the 48 States? Might the SPD pipes not pass emissions?

I live in Dallas Texas, so ice and snow are minimal.

I’m trying to figure out if the Kooks pipes are worth twice the money for my application. Stainless vs not. Green cats vs SPD cats.

Would appreciate any advice.

OP
OP
K

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have visual inspections for emissions testing here in AZ. So as along as there isn't a CEL for the cats the SPD downpipes will be fine.

I don't know much about the Kooks downpipes.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What cell count are the “green” kooks cats? I think the SPD’s are 400.

Which are better for performance? Is there a significant difference between the two?

I assume the green cats will pass emissions in the 48 States? Might the SPD pipes not pass emissions?

I live in Dallas Texas, so ice and snow are minimal.

I’m trying to figure out if the Kooks pipes are worth twice the money for my application. Stainless vs not. Green cats vs SPD cats.

Would appreciate any advice.

I would imagine that the Kooks cats are also around 400 cell. The Stainless Works are 200 cell which is why they throw the code.

If the green cats don't throw a CEL, you should pass emissions. In Texas, they no longer put the sniffer in the tailpipe, they just hook up to the OBD2 port and make sure everything says "OK" and isn't turned off or "Not Ready."

The catted pipes are 49 state legal for both applications. The cats used by SPD are manufactured by Magnaflow.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or if we can help get you setup.