Stock downpipe size comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

18rap

Reaction score
I have no idea how much cel the stock cats are. I'm running the SPD downpipes right now and haven't had a check engine light in the few hundred miles I've been running them.

I did do the SPD adapters. I didn't measure them but they are a lot bigger. SPD's site has dyno graphs showing they make some power. I haven't done any dyno runs, but there is a noticeable increase in seat of the pants power after all my mods (intake, full exhaust, downpipes, and intercooler).

How you liking the SPD dp?

OP
OP
K

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far so good. Took like 5 weeks or so for SPD to make the pipes. They did some serious custom welding to make it similar to factory.

The quality of the Stainless Works pipes was seriously awesome but the fit wasn't that great. For instance, the pipes are completely separate and not welded together where they converge and connect to the exhaust. This resulted in a light rattle on mid throttle. The pipe also hung a bit lower than the factory pipes. Even though I had no issue with the low hanging pipe getting beat up offroad, I still think this should have been fixed. Also, the Stainless Works pipes eliminate the turbo adapter. At first I liked it, reduce bottlenecking. But.....since the pipe bolts directly to the turbo and the exhaust flexes while offroading, there were two instances where the flange bolts backed themselves out during heavy offroading (even with threadlock) and the downpipes were super loose.

The SPD pipes have a welded section where the two pipes converge. This eliminates all the rattling I had before. They are mounted higher and they use the turbo adapter. The icing on the cake was that they use cats that don't throw check engine lights. It was a no brainer for me.

The downside to SPD pipes are they are made of aluminized steel. I guess it has the potential to rust quicker than stainless. I'm in AZ though so I don't have to worry about rust.

OP
OP
K

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah SPD makes a catless version. I don't know about other tuners but 5Star will turn off the rear cat and MPT won't mess with it.

Or you could use the O2 extenders. Seems like they work a good percentage of the time. Problem is they are hard to fit. The best bet is to put them on with the downpipes off.

r8ders

Reaction score
k-rub,

Are you possibly going to sell your stock downpipes? I'm interested in them if you are.

Thank you

hwycycle

Reaction score
Hey guys, im also looking for a set of Gen 2 downpipes... I’m in NY & NJ on a regular basis...

Thanks..

R8ders should have first right of refusal... he started posting before me.

OP
OP
K

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thx guys but I already sold them. And FYI shipping is a PITA because of the shape. Shipping from AZ to PA was 320 at the cheapest even after I got a quote for freight. Best to buy local.