Stock CAI Box vs Aftermarket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDRAPTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looked but didn’t see anything good. Since everyone says a CAI doesn’t help with HP I was looking a Drop in option that isn’t oiled. Is that a thing or should I just get the K&N and be done with it? Or just get a CAI that is a dry filter.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What’s Ump housing?
It is a fabricated housing. Basically completely custom, perhaps a little restrictive, but I doubt you would get a better filtering setup. If I were doing intake work I would probably lean toward it, but my truck is a toy and not a daily. Some higher horsepower setups run two for what it is worth.

If you want something that filters well, and is a part you can buy, check out volant with the Donaldson powercore.

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a fabricated housing. Basically completely custom, perhaps a little restrictive, but I doubt you would get a better filtering setup. If I were doing intake work I would probably lean toward it, but my truck is a toy and not a daily. Some higher horsepower setups run two for what it is worth.

If you want something that filters well, and is a part you can buy, check out volant with the Donaldson powercore.

That powecore tech looks almost too good to be true! 100k filter replacement interval with better air flow than stock?! I wonder if it improves the turbo noise as well.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That powecore tech looks almost too good to be true! 100k filter replacement interval with better air flow than stock?! I wonder if it improves the turbo noise as well.
I doubt it flows better than stock (I could be wrong though), but I would be pretty confident that it filters better. Donaldson makes some pretty good filters.

catinthehat85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt it flows better than stock (I could be wrong though), but I would be pretty confident that it filters better. Donaldson makes some pretty good filters.

Agreed, I reread their descriptions. “Efficient” seems like a term they use to describe the filter’s ability to catch particles. I wonder if their dry filter option can somehow flow better with better filter performance as well. I have zero interest in oiled filters for an off road vehicle.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Agreed, I reread their descriptions. “Efficient” seems like a term they use to describe the filter’s ability to catch particles. I wonder if their dry filter option can somehow flow better with better filter performance as well. I have zero interest in oiled filters for an off road vehicle.
I’m not sure who makes the dry filter for them, but you can go on Donaldson’s website and see information for the powercore. ISO 5011 (I think) is testing to compare air filters.

I do like the idea of “closed” air boxes and oversized filters. If I were to buy an “of the shelf” intake and filter it would probably be the volant with the powercore. But I will probably end up with something custom with a UMP/Donaldson.