Mpg drop with magnum force AFE CAI installed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

E Daddy Dog

Reaction score
So to the date of July 24 I installed this CAI and really do like it. Feels like it breathes better. Not a closed system like I thought but it’s good. Although it is a nice addition it seems to have affected fuel efficiency. Now it may just be a situation where more air=more gas so idk. My driving habits have been the same. Don’t get on the throttle more or less, but I track my gas guzzling with Fuelly. Prior to the CAI I was getting average 14-15mpg. Now down to 11-12mpg. I thought it was a fluke but I’ve been tracking it. Any thoughts? Any input is greatly appreciated. Pictures attached for reference and I do tow with my raptor so it could say 8mpg. BTW I didn’t buy a raptor for fuel efficiency….. but a change like this is unusual.

Attachments

• IMG_1715.png
    IMG_1715.png
    451.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1716.png
    IMG_1716.png
    448.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1717.png
    IMG_1717.png
    447 KB · Views: 11

Keith88

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have this intake on my gen 3 and dont have this problem. I will note that on my Gen3 i had to intake this little white tube thing while doing the install... did you have the little white tube with a 45 degree cut in it?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’m not familiar with fuelly, so have you backstopped the findings with actual math?
you’re going to the same station repeatedly, same pumps that cut off at the same level(-ish)?
is your tire pressure consistent along this test period?
Any diagnostic codes?
Any other modifications, preexisting or after the CAI?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m not familiar with fuelly, so have you backstopped the findings with actual math?
you’re going to the same station repeatedly, same pumps that cut off at the same level(-ish)?
is your tire pressure consistent along this test period?
Any diagnostic codes?
Any other modifications, preexisting or after the CAI?
Fuelly does the actual math... you just have to reset a trip meter at each fillup. Gallons used / mileage

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This kind of reminds me of when the fuel companies switch to winter blends, and the air temps are 50 degrees and lower. I have pretty much noticed my fuel economy went down when this occured on any car I have owned since I have been married.

OP
OP
E Daddy Dog

E Daddy Dog

Reaction score
CAI sounds awesome. Love it. Yes I did install the white tubing into my turbo inlet pipe pipe on drivers side otherwise it would throw codes. No changes. Tire pressure same, same gas, same station. Run 93 at all times. Fuelly is reliable. Just doesn’t make sense.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OCD knows no bounds.
Problem solving skills are lacking.
Do you have your original air filter system? (Please tell me you do)
If you want to prove your theory that the CAI is caused a drop in MPG. Reinstall you factory system and drive it for 60-90 days.

You won't be lacking in HP as the factory system breaths very well.

My bet is that you like the sound and as such are in fact driving more aggressive because it pleases you to hear the sound of the engine "breathing better" (hint: sound does not equal power).