GEN 2 S&B CAI Install - Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scrublord

Reaction score
Hey all,

New to both the forum and the Raptor world. After selling my F-350 and wrenching on Jeep #8, decided I missed having a truck that I enjoyed driving but also I wanted something a little bit faster. I've ran S&B on my my 6.0, 6.7, and on my Jeep, so decided to go with them again with the Raptor.

Part Number: 75-5122

Installation:
Honestly, a huge pain in the ass. The link provided with install instructions must be a previous generation, because the parts I got were definitely a little different. Feeding the intake tube into the air box took way longer than any S&B installs I've done in the past, and eventually I had to think outside the box a bit. Instructions say to install and secure the airbox in the truck first, then feed the intake tube in. There's just not enough room and getting the appropriate amount of leverage to squeeze it through the cuff wasn't happening. I had to pull the box out, get some silicone spray and lube the cuff, then really muscle it in. After that I installed the whole piece into the truck and finally started going smooth. Getting the lid and seal installed was the final speed bump as S&B isn't using the screws to secure the lid anymore (which I did hate in the past), but really requires you to muscle it into the air box, to the point you feel like the lid is going to break.

Performance:
For one, you definitely can hear the turbos more. I drive relatively nice on the streets and even getting up to the speed limit from a stop light you can hear the whistle a good bit more. Coming from diesels and the SBC world, it's nice to be able to hear literally anything happening under the hood. Truck definitely feels like it has some more pep in the step, but it's nothing that'll replace real performance mods.

Efficiency:
I have the same commute every day and luckily I live somewhere where it doesn't change much. Virtually no traffic, green lights the whole way, not a lot of external variables to mix things up. That being said, I'm definitely getting better mileage (not that I bought a Raptor to be efficient). Round trip is about 106 miles, I hit three stop lights the whole way and a whopping two left turns, then I'm at the office. I turn on cruise control at the same spot and ride it all the way to work. Prior to the install, I was getting on average 16-17 MPG. Post install, average is about 18-18.5, with yesterday being the outlier at 20.1.

Overall, happy with the install for sure but the installation itself is kind of a pain. Hope this answers questions for anybody still debating on which intake to go with, I got sick of reading through threads and just bit the bullet.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.

Please post pictures of said prius with S&B air filter assembly. I have one on my 7.3 OBS that I will be taking off next weekend.

icecoldak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this talk and NO pictures!!! I have the S&B on my 19--Love it

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

scrublord

Reaction score
Welcome to FRF.

Please post pictures of said prius with S&B air filter assembly. I have one on my 7.3 OBS that I will be taking off next weekend.
All this talk and NO pictures!!! I have the S&B on my 19--Love it
I'll get some posted later today when I tear into it for the new FMIC I got :laughing1:

I run the S&B on mine as well. What filter did you go with? I much prefer the dry filter.
I went with the oiled; already have a couple cleaning kits for it and didn't want them to go to waste. I clean my filters often enough though that I'm not super worried about the dust buildup and I tend to drive lead on our group runs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter