Steering wheel shaking and vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how much play in the steering wheel, i.e. how far does it clock left and right without any movement in the front end. If there is a bunch of play without any rack movement then the problem is either a bad/loose universal joint on the steering shaft or too much lash in the rack... the later can be adjusted with a 27mm allen key/wrench... there are some videos on how to do this on a F150 without removing the rack. Since the steering rack has been replaced, I would look at the locking bolt on the steering shaft universal joint... if loose, you can get a fair amount of steering wheel play...

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
how much play in the steering wheel, i.e. how far does it clock left and right without any movement in the front end. If there is a bunch of play without any rack movement then the problem is either a bad/loose universal joint on the steering shaft or too much lash in the rack... the later can be adjusted with a 27mm allen key/wrench... there are some videos on how to do this on a F150 without removing the rack. Since the steering rack has been replaced, I would look at the locking bolt on the steering shaft universal joint... if loose, you can get a fair amount of steering wheel play...
And the fact that his steering wheel clunks leads me to think it's either his loose steering wheel bolt or the steering shaft (video above).

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2010, i did try it and still does the same. my worries are the loose steering it was loose before I changed the rack and pinion last year (it’s cardone remanufactured now) since then it’s have been even more loose and putting all new suspension components didn’t changed anything just better ride quality overall but still play. maybe loose steering shaft? steering bolt? adjust the preload on the rack? i have 120k miles
given it was worse after replacing the rack, my vote loose set screw/bolt where steering shaft connects to the rack's input shaft...

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
how much play in the steering wheel, i.e. how far does it clock left and right without any movement in the front end. If there is a bunch of play without any rack movement then the problem is either a bad/loose universal joint on the steering shaft or too much lash in the rack... the later can be adjusted with a 27mm allen key/wrench... there are some videos on how to do this on a F150 without removing the rack. Since the steering rack has been replaced, I would look at the locking bolt on the steering shaft universal joint... if loose, you can get a fair amount of steering wheel play..
The steering is very responsive, once i move it the tires move so it’s not that kind of play. I will look the steering shaft. It’s just loose steering and anything on the road moves it

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
The steering is very responsive, once i move it the tires move so it’s not that kind of play. I will look the steering shaft. It’s just loose steering and anything on the road moves it
The suspension works like new except the leaf springs that are oem and haven’t changed bushings or anything it’s just that loose steering feeling that just drives me crazy and can’t feel secure on the road or off road

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The suspension works like new except the leaf springs that are oem and haven’t changed bushings or anything it’s just that loose steering feeling that just drives me crazy and can’t feel secure on the road or off road
Yeah, I wouldn't drive it anymore than you need to, especially if something was left loose when installing the rack. Good luck and keep us posted.

bubblehead93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is your front end set at, in particular toe... if your total toe is too positive then that might be the problem... generally I like to be just on the positive side of zero... if I knock my alignment out then it either is slightly less positive or a little more positive...

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
alignment data sheet from your last alignment plz
i don’t have them but when the road is good i can let the steering go and it runs straight without me touching it at any mph. Also I had an inspection today, all good suspension since it’s new. they told
me the steering shaft is good but i have my doubts. I don’t think that having geisers would cause the shaking and vibration since this has been going on before the new rack, tires and springs. I’m going crazy right now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter