Steering Wheel/Align

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jonesy_PNW

Reaction score
Hey all,

I tried using the search function to sss if anyone has XP this but I didn’t find anything.

Does everyone’s steering wheel remains straight after using their rig off-road? I don’t jump the truck and I am mindful of rocks etc. Tires aired down too.

Ford did my alignment last and everything was tight. I even double checked the cams and torqued then down with a big breaker bar.
Ha

is this just how it is with these trucks? Any advice?

Pax4d

Reaction score
Following. I haven't been offroad recently, but my steering feels odd. Looser feeling if that's a way to describe it, not as tight as it used to be. This is a new issue for me, so trying to pay attention to the truck and see if it gets progressively worse.

Mike O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Following. I haven't been offroad recently, but my steering feels odd. Looser feeling if that's a way to describe it, not as tight as it used to be. This is a new issue for me, so trying to pay attention to the truck and see if it gets progressively worse.

I just had this fixed on my 2020. I off-road every two to three weeks, high-speed, as the truck was intended.

At about 10,000 miles (last month) I noticed that the steering wheel was loose. It had a bit of play in it and I could slightly rock it when moving it forward and back.

I took it in and here is what the report said:

Loose Steering wheel
concern confirmed steering wheel feels loose. Checked tsb, ss,, and tsb's. No article related to concern, removed drive air bag inflator for inspection to find the steering wheel bolt loose. Removed steering wheel bolt and added new steering wheel bolt with thread lock and torqued to 41 ft lb, referred to workshop manual 211-04 steering wheel remove and replace,
after the new steering wheel bolt was installed the concern could not be duplicated.
steering wheel bolt part number: W720619S437
condition code 33 loose part

Last edited:

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Did you change your steering mode by chance? The button on the steering wheel changes between comfort/normal/sport.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey all,

I tried using the search function to sss if anyone has XP this but I didn’t find anything.

Does everyone’s steering wheel remains straight after using their rig off-road? I don’t jump the truck and I am mindful of rocks etc. Tires aired down too.

Ford did my alignment last and everything was tight. I even double checked the cams and torqued then down with a big breaker bar.
Ha

is this just how it is with these trucks? Any advice?

So the dealer replaced the original bolts with cam bolts? The torque on those is quite high at 258 lb-ft, and they must be torqued with the weight of the truck on the lower control arm.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, when I did Raptor Assault I asked the team running it how often they had their trucks aligned. Their response was what alignment..........My truck is as tight and tracks as well as it did the day I bought it.

Raptor Assault trucks are put through some pretty rough conditions on a weekly basis and if they don't need alignments, I highly doubt you are doing anything worse on a regular basis.

OP
OP
Jonesy_PNW

Jonesy_PNW

Reaction score
No, when I did Raptor Assault I asked the team running it how often they had their trucks aligned. Their response was what alignment..........My truck is as tight and tracks as well as it did the day I bought it.

Raptor Assault trucks are put through some pretty rough conditions on a weekly basis and if they don't need alignments, I highly doubt you are doing anything worse on a regular basis.

You weren't just at the class this last week were you?

Haha I think we were in the same class man. I asked the same question literally on the trail.

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You weren't just at the class this last week were you?

Haha I think we were in the same class man. I asked the same question literally on the trail.

No, I went in June 2017. I assume the answer you got was the same however.