Steering issue..not typical

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pickles1298

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, quick question. Has anybody had a "click or clunk" come from the front spindle or caliper area? What is happening is at a stand still, I can turn the steering wheel left and right just a little bit and get it only from the left front and it is loud. It dose not happen when driving or lifted in the air. I crawled under the truck and had someone turn the wheel thinking it might be the rack..but I could hear it plane as day popping at the spindle. When jacked up in the air and a jack under the control arm (as if it where on the ground) no noise. It dose feel like there might be a tiny bit of play but nothing serious. This only happens when on the ground and not moving. Any ideas?????

BlueSVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds obvious, but have you checked for tightness of the tierod end, where it bots to the spindle?

OP
OP
pickles1298

pickles1298

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds obvious, but have you checked for tightness of the tierod end, where it bots to the spindle?

Yeah, I have RPG tie rods and I checked the torque on the pin at 100lbs on bottom nut and 80lbs on top nut.

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 PM ----------

It sounds like if you hit the backing plate with a wrench.

wiz1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may be the upper ball joint..
Place a jack under the lower control arm and jack the wheel off the ground.
Then try and wiggle it top to bottom , Then also side to side...You will find it that way...These procedure wont work if you jack it up by the frame and the tire is hanging..

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What wiz said. It sounds like its either your upper or lower ball joint

Your profile say you have RPG race line UCA. Have you tried lubing the uniball with dry Teflon spray?

Last edited:

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely sounds like the uniball needs to be lubed. I noticed this was more prevalent on my old UCA's on warmer days.

OP
OP
pickles1298

pickles1298

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys,
All heims and the UCAs are lubed and every thing is torqued and I am pretty religious about it! (former World of outlaws sprint car driver!) I narrowed it down to the hub where the half shaft comes in the spindle. I am going to tear it apart and see what I find. I will keep this updated to what I figure out is the problem.

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
My rack just went bad on me. Its clicking and clunking- jack one side up and shake the wheel side to side- keep an eye on the rack for up and down movement (mine has lots) Its had a little movement for a while but now it needs to be replaced- lots of noise now

OP
OP
pickles1298

pickles1298

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Bolts going through the front cross member that hold the Rack in had loosened up, but not by much, re-tightened and wam-o, clunk is gone.:rockit:

Is anyone making an aftermarket rack for the Raptor yet?