Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The sound system is a package. There is really no such thing as just upgrading a sub and attempting to make it work. You must have the proper "package". Mine started with the Focals in the front and rear with a Alpine in the center channel and the shallow mount 13.5 JL in the built box under the rear seat. Took the factory sub box and modified it by using Dynomat and putting in a JL W1 8in. Amp for the Focals was the PDX putting 200 to each speaker and the Big JL powering the rear (birth certificate showed 1340) and a small 150 Rockford pushing the 8in.

All of that power must be tuned properly to keep from ruining any of the speakers. THIS is one of the keys to any system is the correct tuning. Someone who knows what they are doing no matter what components are used must be properly integrated to perform at the optimum level.

Just my .02 and good luck. Also, for playing the big bass tracks the "bass knob" as it is known is very handy to provide the right gain to the amplifier.

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you guys use component speakers for the front? Also for speaker wire I assume you run all new speaker wire.
Boss Hoss I like the idea of modifying the factory sub box, have you previously posted pictures and write up on that mod?

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Do you guys use component speakers for the front? Also for speaker wire I assume you run all new speaker wire.
Boss Hoss I like the idea of modifying the factory sub box, have you previously posted pictures and write up on that mod?

I have posted before about the specific components however no pictures of the install. Used the factory modified box because the space was there and I did not want to take up the whole under seat space because I needed some storage room.

The factory sub box looked the same from the outside and went back where it was. The JW 1 was the only woofer that was shallow enough to fit (could be others as well). They do not handle a Lot of power but it was tuned perfectly with the crossover to keep it from tearing itself up.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not a fan of the oem sub box. since it it made of plastic, it is not rigid enough. so the box is most likely flexing. that is a big killer of bass.

the oem wiring is actually pretty decent. you can run about 200 watts through it. anything more and i would definitely run new wires. but the copper used by car manufacturers is better than most audio shops "budget" wire.