SPD 170 Thermostat install today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh jeez I didn't realize you were already using the stock o-ring. It is a pain getting it back on. Make sure there is no debris in the mating surfaces when you tighten it back down and slowly, evenly, tighten all the fasteners going around the housing so they all tighten down evenly and straight. Like tightening up cam shafts on a motor. Hope that makes sense.

Yep, makes perfect sense, going to wait until a bit later in the day when I have sunlight coming in the garage, and give 'er another shot.

Torchy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Studs is a stellar idea. The issue you have is the SPD sticks out a little longer and puts spring tension against the housing you are trying to bolt down so you have to push against the housing and thread the bolts at the same time.

A little tricky. If studs where there, that'd make it a little easier.

A 170 SPD t-stat lowered my cyl head temps 20-24 degrees across the board. Pretty amazing. That's more more than what a whole radiator does with a 190.

So that tells us the factory radiator is more then enough and all you need is a simple t-stat for lower temps.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(cross posted in Thermostat thread).

Well, 2nd time was the charm! Won't even BEGIN to describe the un-dignified position I was in, draped over the passenger fender. Popped the t'stat in, used a small flat-blade screwdriver to hold it in place until I could get a grip on the housing cover and mostly position it. Slid the screwdriver out as I held the housing in place with my left hand, and hand-threaded the bolts in by hand then sockets. Went one-by-one tightening a bit more each time just to keep pressure even. Filled it up, heard it burping a few times but no leaks. Stared her up, let her get warm to 180 or so and it was bone dry. WOOHOO. Too pooped to even take a quick spin round the neighborhood, will save that for another day. Thanks for the support and encouragement everyone!

SG_Raptor

Reaction score
My Mishimoto thermostat came with ZERO instructions. Anyone have an install guide or good youtube link for how to install on a 2020 Raptor?

OP
OP
onthebrake

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 170 SPD t-stat lowered my cyl head temps 20-24 degrees across the board. Pretty amazing. That's more more than what a whole radiator does with a 190.

So that tells us the factory radiator is more then enough and all you need is a simple t-stat for lower temps.[/QUOTE]

That's my experience too. I was seeing temps in the mid 240 range with the stock t-stat. to where the fan was always kicking on. Now, with the SPD 170, it's never over low 220 range when it's hot. The fan rarely ever comes on now.

RubyDaCherry

Reaction score

So that tells us the factory radiator is more then enough and all you need is a simple t-stat for lower temps.

That's my experience too. I was seeing temps in the mid 240 range with the stock t-stat. to where the fan was always kicking on. Now, with the SPD 170, it's never over low 220 range when it's hot. The fan rarely ever comes on now.
[/QUOTE]

Just ordered mine. Here in Dallas during the later summer my fan has come on a lot more, even when not running the a/c. Sometimes it's so damn loud. How are you pulling up on your gauge the temperature in the true degree number?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just ordered mine. Here in Dallas during the later summer my fan has come on a lot more, even when not running the a/c. Sometimes it's so damn loud. How are you pulling up on your gauge the temperature in the true degree number?
With ForScan. Also, if you are putting a 170 thermostat in the truck will run cooler while moving but when idle it will be at the regular temp since the fans won't kick on any sooner - if you have a tune you can ask your tuner to have the fans kick on at 190 or so.

Frank Forcier

Reaction score
I am also running into this situation, however I've done a lot of upgrades to the motor as well as getting it prof tuned and increased diameter all the way through. I thought it was the SVC Intercooler covering the stock radiator that was causing the issues, but I honestly don't know why I didn't think of upgrading to the race radiator or changing the thermostat. Anyways, I'm ordering today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc