Thermostat / Transmission Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jkysh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I recently purchased a 2019 raptor screw that has been done with Cobb stage 2 and ECU / TCM tuning from goose tuned. Truck is fantastic and is a great upgrade from my first gen. I am happy to be back in a raptor and have a few questions below:

Thermostat: I am looking to lower my cylinder head temp a bit. I spoke with Wilfred and noted the highest temp I had seen on my 8 hour ride home from West Virginia’s massive mountain grades was ~240°. This was at 75mph in 80° humid weather. He suggested the 170° thermostat from SPD and a retune to kick the fans on at 190°. This combo should lower my cylinder head temp to around 220° max. Is my current state a concerning temperature? I will more than likely upgrade my thermostat but wanted to check before I do.

Coolant: In the event I do the above work, is it against the book to put Amsoil HD coolant in the truck or should I stick with ford OEM?

Transmission: I come from the diesel world and checked and changed my transmission fluid regularly. I see there is no ability to check on these trucks and the fluid isn’t really noted from my searches. Should there be a change interval on this truck? It current has 37k on it and I doubt it has been done. No issues at all with hard shifts or bangs ETC but I certainly don’t want to introduce any if I change the fluid and it’s not meant to be changed. Assume it has to be done through a cooler line in an extract and I’d likely have the stealership do this.

Any insights on the above or general maintenance items to take care of at this mileage is much appreciated. Interested to also know if I should do my diff fluid, transfer case, or any grease points that need attention. Thank you!

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Follow what your owners manual says at the least. I would add brake fluid to your list above and start with those.

OP
OP
J

Jkysh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any other insight? Primarily looking for service detail on the transmission fluid

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is a normal cylinder head temp reading under a load. It’s measuring the temperature of the head itself, not the coolant in the head. It’s essentially a fail safe in the event of a significant coolant loss.

I’d highly recommend sticking with Ford coolant. In the case of a 2019, it’s Motorcraft Yellow.

The transmission fluid, axle fluid, and transfer case fluid service intervals are 150k under normal operating conditions. If you run the truck hard, run a tune, tow, etc. those intervals can be reduced as appropriate. The dipstick is located on the side on the transmission in the front, under the truck. There is no need to check the transmission fluid level unless there is a leak, as transmission fluid is not consumed during operation.

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Notwithstanding FordTechOne's wisdom, I would add that all fluids age whether or not they are in use.
But at only 37,000 miles, you don't have any reason to change the transmission fluid at this time.

OP
OP
J

Jkysh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s for the clarification. I thought you were referring to the CHT reading in the measurements display.

As long as the temperature gauge doesn’t turn yellow or red, the coolant temp is still within specification. Note that the thermostat isn’t fully open until 217 degrees, so 220’s/230’s is not out of the ordinary under low RPM/high load. Did you drive the same route under the same conditions (
That is a normal cylinder head temp reading under a load. It’s measuring the temperature of the head itself, not the coolant in the head. It’s essentially a fail safe in the event of a significant coolant loss.

I’d highly recommend sticking with Ford coolant. In the case of a 2019, it’s Motorcraft Yellow.

The transmission fluid, axle fluid, and transfer case fluid service intervals are 150k under normal operating conditions. If you run the truck hard, run a tune, tow, etc. those intervals can be reduced as appropriate. The dipstick is located on the side on the transmission in the front, under the truck. There is no need to check the transmission fluid level unless there is a leak, as transmission fluid is not consumed during operation.

Appreciate the feedback. I am referring to the CHT value in the measurements screen. You consider these values cited normal and nothing to be concerned with? Truck has stock thermostat and runs great. I don’t necessarily feel like swapping for a 170° thermostat and re tuning for lower fan on temps if it is not necessary. I do not tow or race the truck. I only ask as I am new to the eco boost platform and it seemed high. Granted the grades were steep enough to have semis doing 20mph in the right lane as I passed by at 75/80.

Truck is goosetuned w/ Cobb stage 2 on 93oct map. If none of my drivetrain fluids need service until 150k I will take care of them at 100k for precaution. Basically just looking to knock any items out now to baseline my maintence. Sounding like just plugs and brake fluid are all I need.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Appreciate the feedback. I am referring to the CHT value in the measurements screen. You consider these values cited normal and nothing to be concerned with? Truck has stock thermostat and runs great. I don’t necessarily feel like swapping for a 170° thermostat and re tuning for lower fan on temps if it is not necessary. I do not tow or race the truck. I only ask as I am new to the eco boost platform and it seemed high. Granted the grades were steep enough to have semis doing 20mph in the right lane as I passed by at 75/80.

Truck is goosetuned w/ Cobb stage 2 on 93oct map. If none of my drivetrain fluids need service until 150k I will take care of them at 100k for precaution. Basically just looking to knock any items out now to baseline my maintence. Sounding like just plugs and brake fluid are all I need.
Yes, that is a normal CHT reading when under a load, such as driving uphill.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those two mods do nothing to help under load. You are way past where they are effective. If the thermostat reduces back pressure which could increase flow, it might help. Fresh coolant and or anti foam will provide much better temp reduction. Anti foam works great, air bubbles do not transfer heat well. Also, the heat transfer coefficient of antifreeze is much less than water. So adjusting the mixture can help cool things a bit. Increasing the ratio of the of water to antifreeze such as a 30/70 mix will lower the freezing point of the mix down to minus 72 degrees Fahrenheit, but it will also lessen its ability to cool the engine. A higher water to antifreeze ratio increases the ability of the mix to cool the engine, but the mix will not do very well in cold weather. I use 60/40 and have never had an issue. Good to -7deg/f with a burst point of -50 deg/f