SPD 170 Thermostat install today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2017 SCREW has been showing some crazy high water temps. 232 - 240 degrees at times. I switched it out with the SPD Performance thermostat today. One thing I learned today is that the o-ring that comes with the new thermostat does NOT seal. I had the use the original o-ring that was on the factory 195 thermostat. I thought I'd share so the next guy doesn't install it, put it back together, fill it up and find all the coolant on the garage floor like I did. :mad:

OP
OP
onthebrake

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2017 SCREW has been showing some crazy high water temps. 232 - 240 degrees at times. I switched it out with the SPD Performance thermostat today. One thing I learned today is that the o-ring that comes with the new thermostat does NOT seal. I had the use the original o-ring that was on the factory 195 thermostat. I thought I'd share so the next guy doesn't install it, put it back together, fill it up and find all the coolant on the garage floor like I did. :mad:
After driving the truck today after switching out the thermostat, I noticed the annoying fans aren't coming on any more. BEST mod I have done so far !

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s January. Where are you that temperatures are a problem?

OP
OP
onthebrake

onthebrake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s January. Where are you that temperatures are a problem?
EXACTLY. That's the problem. It's 53 F here is So. Cal and the truck was hitting 236, 238 in normal driving mode on the fwy doing 75 or just around town. Every time I'd stop, the engine fans would be on super loud. Not now. Now, with the SPD 170 F thermostat, the truck runs way cooler and the fans don't come on anymore. I just drove the truck 3 -5 miles hard in Sport Mode around town and cool temps, no fans.

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
40 degrees outside with me running 90mph....my water temps are 210-218.......will drop to 200 at 35mph........maybe add 5 degrees to those numbers in the summer.

it is my understanding with this motor, it will not run correct at temps below 185ish.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
40 degrees outside with me running 90mph....my water temps are 210-218.......will drop to 200 at 35mph........maybe add 5 degrees to those numbers in the summer.

it is my understanding with this motor, it will not run correct at temps below 185ish.

with a 170 tstat, my summer temps ( 100 degree ambient), pushing hard with 40s and a lot of extra weight is between 195-220. I actually hit 260+ with the stock tstat before I switched it out, and that was with the full race radiator upgrade.

Hankfd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s pretty nuts you can hit temps that high without the truck over heating. Water boils at 212 I always thought after roughly that temp you would over heat.....pretty crazy temps can get that high. Wonder what kinda antifreeze is in them

John Rathjen

SWATDOC
Reaction score
Water does boil by itself at 212. But that number is increased when you mix in coolant, and the higher pressure of a pressurized system raises the boiling point also