Spare wheel lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TremorRaptor

Reaction score
Since Ford omitted it, I purchased the spare wheel lock ML3Z-1543262-A (corrected) from Ford OEM Parts Online. If it comes down to it, I'm hoping it slows a thief down enough to leave my truck alone. It comes with a set of tumblers so you can match it to your key which is cool. Determining the code from the key cut depths was a PITA though. Once I got an eye for the cut depths, I got the code correct and all was right in the universe. Turns out, cut depth 4 is much closer to the edge of the key than I thought - after that it was easy.

1699984411851.png

Last edited:

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
Angle grinder to the center cable mechanism would be my first concern.

Not that I have had this happen or anything

Sig Fanboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My base model Gen 2 came with the locking mechanism in the bumper. My loaded 23 Gen 3 did not. I bought one from the dealer, still waiting on my friend who is a tinkerer to come set it up for me, I don’t have the patience for things like that. Currently carrying the 37in spare in the bed under a tonneau cover as I can’t imagine a senior citizen such as myself wrestling that dude out from under the truck on the side of the road in the dark. And before anyone chimes in about how dangerous it is to have the spare loose in the bed, it’s secured and locked into place.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My GEN1 came with a "lock," but I don't think that it's key-specific. It's mostly plastic, too, and it's a pain in the butt to get it to work right. @TremorRaptor , is the unit you bought all metal?

Wait. Never mind. I'm not going to be fleeced by Ford to the tune of $141.37 - not even if it was made of Plutonium, Gold, or Unobtanium.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TremorRaptor

Reaction score
My GEN1 came with a "lock," but I don't think that it's key-specific. It's mostly plastic, too, and it's a pain in the butt to get it to work right. @TremorRaptor , is the unit you bought all metal?

Wait. Never mind. I'm not going to be fleeced by Ford to the tune of $141.37 - not even if it was made of Plutonium, Gold, or Unobtanium.
I'll answer anyway... My 2012 Gen 1 had the lock and it was key specific. On this new one, the case, cylinder and locking levers are metal. The cover, tumblers and key shutter are stainless steel while the cap is plastic (looks like the one removed). It was $98 on OEM Ford parts.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll answer anyway... My 2012 Gen 1 had the lock and it was key specific. On this new one, the case, cylinder and locking levers are metal. The cover, tumblers and key shutter are stainless steel while the cap is plastic (looks like the one removed). It was $98 on OEM Ford parts.
It's $141.37 now.