So long, Raptor. Hello Tremor!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jstnumber73

Reaction score
Well, it has been 1 month now since I traded in my 2018 Raptor. It was just plagued with issues in the 2 years I had it (ordered it new) and spending 2.5 months in the shop in 2 years was just tiresome.

Back in early December I had placed an order for a 2020 Raptor. Early Feb I found out that my order still had not been picked up, and at that time I started having major engine issues (for the 2nd time).

Ford had just released the F250 Tremor package, so I went for it. Ordered it early Feb, arrived late March, right before everything got shut down.

It is definitely a different animal than my Raptor was. 27" longer, 4" taller and 1200 lbs heavier. You can't ordered a Tremor in SuperCab, so this is my first CrewCab truck I've ever owned.

I ordered the Tremor with the 7.3L gas engine, 4.30 gears, the Lariat Ultimate and Lariat Sport packages.

First week the stock wheels came off and I put on 18" Method Mesh wheels with 35x1250x18 Toyo MTs.

I have to say I am very impressed with the power of 7.3L coupled with the 4.30 gears. It definitely moves. The added height, weight and length definitely make it feel less sporty than my Raptor, but for the off road I do, this will be just fine.

If you aren't familiar wit the F250 Tremor package, you can find all the info about the upgraded parts on Fords Site. Also, lots of YouTube reviews already.

Stay safe and have fun!

View attachment 141919

View attachment 141920

View attachment 141921

I've been contemplating this switch too. My 18 has had nothing but issues in the shop for a total of about three months in the 2 1/2 years of ownership. I want to love it, but the truck makes it so hard lol

I don't need a super duty yet but might just make the switch. How much different are the driving characteristics? How is the highway driving at 85mph with a solid front axel?

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best will be a F-250 with the 7.3 and the worst will be a F-350 with a diesel.

Can you expand on this, please? Why would the 350/diesel combo be worst? I'd think the worst for off-roading would be the 250/diesel combo, and the 350 marginally better due to higher GVWR which would give a higher cargo capacity and suspension capability (meaning at rest, the suspension is less compressed, leaving more room for suspension travel), all other things (trim, 4x4, etc) being as equal as possible. Is the 7.3L gas that much lighter than the 6.7 Diesel? I guess I could dig around for the information, just being lazy at the moment.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
the 7.3 is much much lighter than the 6.7.

A 250 with a carli pintop kit, carli swaybar and carli full leaf packs can do just about everything that a stock raptor can do, sans jumping.

It drives like a much much larger truck. It drives like it is far heavier.

My raptor feels like a ferrari 458 compared to my super duty.

The f-250, even with the tremor package, has a significantly harsher ride than a raptor or a standard F-150. ( stock for stock).

As far as cruising at 85 with a solid axle, one finger on the wheel. like piloting a couch with 37s and a diesel motor. ( with the carli suuspension )

Also- building a superduty is hilariously inexpensive when compared to building out a raptor like I have.

I think I'm probably 10-12K into my f250 (beyond the purchase price.)

I'm more than 12K into the lights and aftermarket switches on my raptor. o_O

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can you expand on this, please? Why would the 350/diesel combo be worst? I'd think the worst for off-roading would be the 250/diesel combo, and the 350 marginally better due to higher GVWR which would give a higher cargo capacity and suspension capability (meaning at rest, the suspension is less compressed, leaving more room for suspension travel), all other things (trim, 4x4, etc) being as equal as possible. Is the 7.3L gas that much lighter than the 6.7 Diesel? I guess I could dig around for the information, just being lazy at the moment.

You don't want a suspension with cargo ability when doing off road. You want a soft, supple suspension that can flex and compress under it's own weight. The 350 has very stiff suspension making it less compliant off-road than a 250 and way less compliant than a 150. You don't get more travel with a stuff suspension. You get less travel, or perhaps more accurately, unusable travel. The diesel is also very heavy and weight is also your enemy off road. Makes it harder to get going, harder to stop, harder to turn.

There's a reason you don't see F350's with the heavy spring package being compared to a Raptor Off-Road, and it certainly isn't because it's more capable.

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score

the 350 is designed to support major weight. It isnt designed to CONTROL said weight offroad.

It doesn't flex, it suspends. The forces applied offroad would not be sufficient to actually compress the springs, so riding in the truck would feel like riding a pogo stick.

desert truck suspension is supple and is designed to let the wheel move, while controlling the motion to provide a smooth "floaty" feeling over the bumps.

Even if i bought a tremor, I'd still want to do a carli pintop upgrade if I was going to actually offroad it.

Even stock F250 leaf springs only feel "nice" on road with at least 8000 lbs being pulled behind it. Otherwise, they are rather inflexible and choppy. Same goes for the front swaybar. It makes the ride extremely rigid unless the truck is really loaded down. The carli torsion spring swaybar makes a HUGE difference.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great replies, makes sense now. Thx, everyone! That's one of the great things about this board, sharing insights like this for us (relative) newbies!

Kashoggio

Lives in a van down by the river.
Reaction score
Correct me if I wrong but isn’t the main difference between the f250 and the f350 is their rear end?