So I think I broke my truck......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
The Tank

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have never noticed a rich smell with my G8 w/ high flow cats.
Hmmm come to thing of it my lightning didn't smell either but its cats were normal size the ones from Stainless Works are about the size of an iPod. I don't know if that has any bearing on smell but you would think my truck didn't have cats.

OP
OP
The Tank

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Update 1 spark plugs are on order will be in this afternoon/tomorrow morning. I'm using the Motorcraft SP 509. Also called Troyer Performance about a full retune and truck is on the books for Nov 11. Truck will be tuned on 93 octane.

GasGasMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bent electrode means something hit the plug.
Putting a thinner head gasket will affect cam timing. So, proceed wisely.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How does a tune bend an electrode on a spark plug?

Detonation. If it's detonating, he probably broke a piston (ring land?). The bit of piston flies around, nails the plug and there ya have it. Not good.

Bad O2 sensors can also screw with the AF mixture. Your tuner didn't turn them off after the engine mods, did he?

OP
OP
The Tank

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How does a tune bend an electrode on a spark plug?

Detonation. If it's detonating, he probably broke a piston (ring land?). The bit of piston flies around, nails the plug and there ya have it. Not good.

Bad O2 sensors can also screw with the AF mixture. Your tuner didn't turn them off after the engine mods, did he?

Big J is correct on the detonation but it was only at WOT. I have to run 93 in my truck that is tuned for 87. I can't say for certain and I'm not going to bash JDM because I knew the risk of doing a mail order tune but one of the problems I had was a CEL for rear O2s and now the CEL is gone. AFR at WOT is in the 12s I just can't remember off the top of my head where in the 12s it was but I want to say it was 12.0. These hypercraptic pistons that Ford uses are fairly strong piece so I don't think I've made ugly babies in the cylinder.