So I think I broke my truck......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bullittman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sure hope you are right about not making ugly babies in your cylinders, I have seen a whole lot of broken pistons in the 4.6 Mustang world from a not quite right tune, and the fact that you say you have to run 93 octane for your 87 tune would worry me. I hope all is good and you continue to enjoy and mod your truck. Glad to hear you intend to get a good dyno tune. By the way my Bullitt with the FRPP hot rod cams smells RICH at idle also! Keep us updated!

OP
OP
The Tank

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I sure hope you are right about not making ugly babies in your cylinders, I have seen a whole lot of broken pistons in the 4.6 Mustang world from a not quite right tune, and the fact that you say you have to run 93 octane for your 87 tune would worry me. I hope all is good and you continue to enjoy and mod your truck. Glad to hear you intend to get a good dyno tune. By the way my Bullitt with the FRPP hot rod cams smells RICH at idle also! Keep us updated!
It takes a serious amount of heat to cause damage to Ford's hyperucraptic pistons. On my Lightning it took me blowing the head off the block and destroying the headgasket and filling cylinders 6 and 7 with coolant to build enough heat in cylinder 8 to get the top ring land and groove to separate. Most of your 87 octane tune have some level of denotation and I find that sound ungodly annoying and I don't like it also it was doing it a little more then what I would have liked. Ok the reason for the rich smell with the Hot Rod cams has to do with the stupid amount of overlap these cams have. Mike Troyer told me that the injector timing has to be moved back 10 degrees on crank timing. You saw my truck on Saturday it was running fine even made a couple of passes on the beach while I was in Nags Head.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With all the money you have spent on your truck was there a reason that you purchased that tuner or was it just cause you didnt have the availability of a place that could run your truck and tune it...

OP
OP
The Tank

The Tank

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With all the money you have spent on your truck was there a reason that you purchased that tuner or was it just cause you didnt have the availability of a place that could run your truck and tune it...
At the time it was my best choice to go with a JDM tune. They had tuned the most Raptors at that time and had shifted their attention away from Lightnings/F-150 to 3v Mustangs so they have a lot of experience with Hot Rod Cams. SGS is the company that does a lot of CJ Pony Parts tuning doesn't tune on Saturdays and we weren't sure about if I could fit on their dyno. JJ@WMS took forever to get back to me about tuning my truck and his availability. Its in one of the other threads about my truck but the AFR is pretty much on the money. My truck was an experiment no one before me had put Hot Rod Cams in an F-150 let alone a Raptor. No one including myself knew how this was going to turn out. JimIII and I talked several times about my tune and I was told that I'm probably going to have problems with some things here and there because they had never tuned anything like my truck before. If I lived closer to NJ I would let JDM put a real dyno tune on my truck but where I live now puts me between Troyer Performance and Brooks Speed Tuning.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the time it was my best choice to go with a JDM tune. They had tuned the most Raptors at that time and had shifted their attention away from Lightnings/F-150 to 3v Mustangs so they have a lot of experience with Hot Rod Cams. SGS is the company that does a lot of CJ Pony Parts tuning doesn't tune on Saturdays and we weren't sure about if I could fit on their dyno. JJ@WMS took forever to get back to me about tuning my truck and his availability. Its in one of the other threads about my truck but the AFR is pretty much on the money. My truck was an experiment no one before me had put Hot Rod Cams in an F-150 let alone a Raptor. No one including myself knew how this was going to turn out. JimIII and I talked several times about my tune and I was told that I'm probably going to have problems with some things here and there because they had never tuned anything like my truck before. If I lived closer to NJ I would let JDM put a real dyno tune on my truck but where I live now puts me between Troyer Performance and Brooks Speed Tuning.

I guess someone had to be the first one to do that.. Hope ya can get it worked out inexpensively...

FordFanStan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As with any new combination, it is never going to be perfect from the get go. The truth of the matter is no company will spend the time that you yourself would in the tune and to find all those little bugs it takes a lot of driving and datalogging. Not just WOT. I ended up spending over $5k and multiple classes/courses to learn and become certified myself so I would know what is going on in my ECU's.

Out of your choices at that time I think you made the right one. It takes anyone/everyone time to learn the new vehicle ECU's and what the vehicles like. IMHO, I think if you made another choice I think it might have turned out worse. If you have ever been inside the private tuner forums you would laugh at some of the "tooners".

BTW, How many miles have you had on this combo/tune? Glad to hear you are not too down about it and getting it resolved. FFS

bullittman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wondered if that was you as I was reading this post! I wish I would have gotten around to hear your truck running, I am getting ready to go on cruise and was thinking about the FRPP cams in the Raptor when I get back. Did it wake the truck up in the mid and upper range like it did the Bullitt?