GEN 1 Slapping Sound after replacing shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Slapping Sound" is a new one...
How loud is it, can you isolate front/rear or L/R?
Is it possible you moved the rear E-Brake cable and its slapping against the leaf?
Up front, did everything go together normal, hats are all sitting the way they should?
Is the rubber bump on shock shaft all good?

Not sure about É brake cable. Rubber bump stops on shafts are good.

will attempt to take a video to capture sound if possible and report back.

OP
OP
MFNG

MFNG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I torqued it with a pneumatic impact gun. I didn’t measure it - mistake - but I feel like it was enough. My cohort who is a wrencher on jeeps/4x4s didn’t seemed concerned and he is pretty AR about specs and details on things.

here’s the sound

It seems to be in the front on both sides.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s hard to tell from the video, too much wind noise. My first thought was that maybe one of the radiator air dams tore or came unfastened. I’ve had to repair mine a few times. If you took the wheels off and did a good once over to make sure the spring is properly seated and the top collars had proper alignment(had to mark mine). Then I would make sure it’s not one of those dams is causing it.

NotStock

Reaction score
Not sure I am hearing what you're hearing, but I did the exact same thing you did. Lower shock bolts installed with a good impact (IR 2135TiMax) and assumed it was tight enough. It should have been more than enough. Had clunking noise after install. Went back and torqued correctly with a 3/4 drive torque wrench. Noise was gone. Re-torqued everything after that and won't make assumptions anymore about what is "good". I am sure someone more experienced can do that, but apparently I cant.

The rattling sound I noticed on the video sounds like when my header heat shield finally broke loose.

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you reuse the stock bolts, or replace with the correct longer shank bolts from Forged?
The video makes it hard to isolate the noise TBH... I would double check everything you had off the truck then the tings around the area..lol
Somethings not right